Sign in to follow this  

Dynojetting for dummies?

Well I'm not really dumb, but pretty ignorant!:applause:

Is there a thread or website that has a more verbose set of instructions for installing the Dynojet kit on my '06 DR650? I'm handy enough to tackle the job, I think, but I'm no mechanic and the service manual and the Dynojet instructions are definately geared towards mechanics. For example do I need to remove the carb to install the jets?

Some of this would probably become obvious once I start but it'd be nice to have some guidance on basic stuff like this before I start.

Thanks!

Gary

if you arent too familiar with working on carbs... my recommendation is to get a factory service manual and remove the carb from the bike. do it on a bench so you can see what you are doing and learn a bit in the process. it can be done with carb on the bike though

-Chris

PS: if you dont have an impact screwdriver, do yourself a favor and buy one. it will make removing the screws on the bowl and top a pleasant experience. if you use a normal screwdriver you WILL strip them out

Gary -

> Is there a thread or website that has a more verbose set of instructions for

> installing the Dynojet kit on my '06 DR650?...do I need to remove the carb

> to install the jets?

Check out "http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207618" for a better idea of what is involved.

Good luck.

Rick

If you intend to rejet with the carb still on the bike, be careful not to break the choke guide...:applause:

Wanted to say thanks for the help. I got the kit installed. I decided just to take the carb off since I had to take the airbox out anyway I figured it wasn't that much more trouble to take the carb off. It really wasn't that bad. The hardest part was squeezing the carb back in between the engine and the air intake. Thinking back on it now I believe I should've put the airbox in last. That would've allowed me to move the air intake hose toward the rear of the bike and not have to squeeze the carb in to such a tight space between the two pieces of rubber. Anyway, that was the only difficulty I had.

The pictures and instructions on that ADVRider thread were also very helpful. Thanks for that pointer.

Thanks also for the tip on the tight screws. Unbelievable what those things are like, and why would they put Phillips heads on something like that? Unfortunately the only impact driver I have is a monster and I was just afraid to whack the carb hard enough for it's action to kick in. What did work though was just tapping the screwdriver with the hammer a few times. That broke whatever bond was so tight enough that I could work them loose. I promptly went to the hardware store and bought some hex-head 5mm and replaced the stupid Phillips heads with those. On the bottom bowl I really needed some alan-heads because it's almost to tight for the hex-heads, and definately can't use a socket to remove those. Have to use an open end. Unfortunately the hardware store didn't have any alans, but anything's better than those Phillips!

I have some operational trouble with the kit now, but I posted on it on the Yahoo group and I see another thread here reporting the same problem so I won't go into it here. If you're interested you can look at:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DR650/message/23464

and here's the thread on TT where tuck9mm is having the same problem I'm having:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465431&page=1

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated!

Gary

Have you verified that the idle speed is correct? Too low of an idle speed will cause a stumble since the carb on these bikes is not fitted with an accellerator pump. If the kit was installed properly then you should be able to dial out most, if not all, of the off idle stumble using idle speed and the fuel screw.

Impact drivers will usually remove those screws w/o hammering. The stiffness of the rig and the big fat gripping area allow you to break the bond, at least in my experience. You were right to not hammer it, that could be expensive