Gas Tank Removal ?

OK.. so I have my new DRZ and I need to install the unibiker radiator guards before I hit the dirt.. only problem is that I need to take off the gas tank to install them.... never done that before (and my shop manual that I ordered has not arrived) so how do I go about doing this?

Is this as straight forward as leaving the fuel switch on, disconnecting the lines that go into it from the bottom and then removing a few bolts where the tank attaches to the frame? (I haven't peeked at what is holding the tank to the frame yet so I'm not quite sure what's under there). I think there is also a line going from the tank to the rear canister jobbie (on my california bike) that I'll need to deal with too right?

--Jeff--

OK.. so I have my new DRZ and I need to install the unibiker radiator guards before I hit the dirt.. only problem is that I need to take off the gas tank to install them.... never done that before (and my shop manual that I ordered has not arrived) so how do I go about doing this?

Is this as straight forward as leaving the fuel switch on, disconnecting the lines that go into it from the bottom and then removing a few bolts where the tank attaches to the frame? (I haven't peeked at what is holding the tank to the frame yet so I'm not quite sure what's under there). I think there is also a line going from the tank to the rear canister jobbie (on my california bike) that I'll need to deal with too right?

--Jeff--

i have not removed my tank...usually they are pretty straight forward...but you might as well ditch the canister here is how

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382414

--Jeff--

2 bolts on bottom of the shroud and 2 more at the base of the tank. Remove fuel line. Thats it. Scott

2 bolts on bottom of the shroud and 2 more at the base of the tank. Remove fuel line. Thats it. Scott

Unless you have a California model, in which case as already stated you need to deal with the vent line.

Also this is the best method, 2 bolts at the back of the tank (remove seat), and 1 bolt each side

through the shrouds, leave the shrouds attached to the tank.

Neil. :applause: :applause:?

And I'll just add that you pull the tank backwards firmly while also lifting up slightly. I'm not sure if that explains it quite right, but you'll get it down after a couple times. I remember first taking my tank off and it didn't want to move so I had to be firm, I think 'cuz it was new and all...me being a noob scared to break it helped. :applause:

Thanks for the info Peeps!:applause:

Ok.. sounds like it's pretty straight forward. Sounds like these are my steps

• Make sure the fuel valve is on
  • disconnect the lines that go into the bottom of the fuel valve
  • Remove the side plastic and seat
  • remove the two rear tank bolts (under the front of the seat)
  • Look for the other two tank mounting bolts (sounds like there is one on each side under the tank) and remove them
  • Remove the tank vent line (not sure where this is but I'm sure I'll spot it)
  • Pull the tank off. (pulling towards the rear to break it free)

Did I miss anything here? Should I expect any fuel to spill out of the vent line when I pull it off the tank (I'm guessing not because there shouldnt be fuel in the vent line unless I tip the tank too much) If I can leave the shrouds on as suggested that will probably make it easier to set the tank down while I'm working on the bike.

i have not removed my tank...usually they are pretty straight forward...but you might as well ditch the canister here is how

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382414

Good call on removing the canister too while I'm in there. I was planning on doing that eventually so I might as well do that while I have the tank, seat and panels removed. I'm not quite sure on a couple of things with the canister removel however (even after reading lots of posts including the really good one with pics).

• 1 - In the last image on that canister removal thread http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Kenrock1000/DRZvalve.jpg there are two photos that show red circles around an item. Not sure what this is? Is this part on the carb that needs to be plugged? (I'm writing this question from work where I don't have my bike in front of me so I can't peek at it for reference)
  • 2 - What routing do I use to run the line from the in tank vent valve to under the bike? Are there certain parts I should avoid running the line next to? There is another line coming out the bottom of my bike (not sure what it is) so I guess I just route the vent line and make sure it ends up poking out at the same spot as this other line right?

Just to be clear the "fuel valve" you're referring to is called the petcock. There are two hoses running from it (if you have an 'S' or 'SM'). One is the fuel hose, the other is the vacuum hose which is smaller in diameter. They both hook up to your carb.

I do this when every i give my drz a bath, (taking off the tank).

• remove the left side air filter cover. (three twist fittings)
  • remove both left and right rear shrouds and the top bolts on the shrouds hold in the seat
  • remove seat strap if you have one.
  • now your ready to remove the seat. Slide the seat back and you should be good to go.
  • Now, remove the two 10mm bolts that mount the tank from the rear. They fit on two rubber bushings.
  • Now, remove both front radiator shrouds (two bolts mount the shrouds to the tank and one mounts the shrouds to the radiators)
  • Now, your left with the tank. Make sure the petcock is set to on. Put a rag under the fuel line when you remove it. Fuel that is left in the line will drain out.
  • remove the vaccum line that comes from the carb
  • You have to remove the vent line that is located towards the rear of the tank. Perform the canister removal mod like mentioned above.
  • Now all you have to do is pull the tank off. There is two rubber bushings holding the tank in place. You have to pull the tank towards the back of the bike.
  • Your set! install your guards and hit the trails

:applause:

note: put bike back together before hitting the trails!!!!!

sorry forggot to post it in my instructions

• remove both left and right rear shrouds and the top bolts on the shrouds hold in the seat
  • now your ready to remove the seat. Slide the seat back and you should be good to go.
  • Now, remove the two 10mm bolts that mount the tank from the rear. They fit on two rubber bushings.
  • Now, remove both front radiator shrouds (two bolts mount the shrouds to the tank and one mounts the shrouds to the radiators)
  • Now, your left with the tank. Make sure the petcock is set to on. Put a rag under the fuel line when you remove it. Fuel that is left in the line will drain out.
  • You have to remove the vent line that is located towards the rear of the tank. Perform the canister removal mod like mentioned above.
  • Now all you have to do is pull the tank off. There is two rubber bushings holding the tank in place. You have to pull the tank towards the back of the bike.

?

Thanks Vdub :applause: I think I'm good to go now with all the input from everyone!

Good advice here as well .. might be a bit of challenge to hit the dirt without your tank and seat re-installed :applause:

:applause:

1- leave that connected.... you plug the nipple on the bottom side of carb.i used a piece of hose that was connected to it plugged with a screw and zip tie..once side panels are off its easy to trace the lines back to canister

2- with the tank off you can attach longest hose from canister to the vent valve and drop it down thru swing arm linkage....or if you are lazy like i was and dont want to remove the tank...the line that runs under the seat has a fitting that will attach to the existing vent tube

EDIT

sorry meant to quote shleppy

1- leave that connected.... you plug the nipple on the bottom side of carb.i used a piece of hose that was connected to it plugged with a screw and zip tie..once side panels are off its easy to trace the lines back to canister

So what is the line in that photo that is circled? http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Kenrock1000/DRZvalve.jpg It might just be the vacuum line running to the petcock. I am a bit confused about this particular image. If the item circled is the vacuum line to the petcock I'm not sure why the canister removel thread shows this disconnected in the image. Doesn't seem to be pertinent :applause: (I might be clueless here and maybe missing something obvious)

So what is the line in that photo that is circled? http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Kenrock1000/DRZvalve.jpg It might just be the vacuum line running to the petcock. I am a bit confused about this particular image. If the item circled is the vacuum line to the petcock I'm not sure why the canister removel thread shows this disconnected in the image. Doesn't seem to be pertinent :applause: (I might be clueless here and maybe missing something obvious)

That's the vacuum line