Sign in to follow this  

Need pressure washer to wash bikes

Which one should I get. Don't want to spend $800 though.

How many PSI should I look for? Anyone who loves their pressure washer want to tell me what they have?

Thanks.

I have a cheap $50 Home Depot special. Not too much pressure, but gets my bike spotless.

I've used more powerful ones and I've also accidentally nearly filled a fork leg with water by blasting it past the seal. I don't have to worry about that too much with mine. :applause:

I have an electric 1500 PSI Power Washer with adjustable pressure nozzle.

It works great. You can adjust the presure around the forks, engine, bearings, etc.

Check the scratch and dent section at the front of Home Depot and Lowe's stores. There's always open box and returns there. If you plan on using it for your car and other things (atv's or more bikes) get a decent size, and a honda motor.

and a honda motor.

i second that. Honda motor is only way to go if you get a gas one.

I have one about 10 yrs old with a honda motor, starts 1 or 2 pulls everytime, even when it has sat all winter.

wouldnt go too crazy ..my bro's got a homemade jobby..so powerful you need to hold on with 2 hands!! peels stickers off 2' away..+ you wanna stay away from your linkage and steering head ..I say a hose and de-greaser

i bought an electric one at kragens for $80. 1300psi

i've had it for about 3 years and have not had a problem yet

i got a 1500 psi KARCHER, austrians make the best pressure cleaners to:)

I have a 100 dollar electric one. Does everything that I want related to a dirt bike.

I stopped using pressure washers, as, like the guys above, I kept finding water in bad places (past seals). A hose works fine. Do you have mud in AZ?

The cheep electric do a nice job for cleaning bikes. The problem with most cheep electric is the presser is not adjustable at the pump and there like a BIC lighter, you trash it when it quits working. The electric have TWO MUCH pressure for cleaning bikes and not enough water flow for hard jobs around my house most of the time.

I have both an electric and gas power, I do like the gas a lot better. But the gas is a pain in the butt to drag out and it's always out of gas. The elect is just plug and play and what I use most of the time.

I have a 100 dollar electric one. Does everything that I want related to a dirt bike.

Same here, works awesome for bikes.

I stopped using pressure washers, as, like the guys above, I kept finding water in bad places (past seals). A hose works fine. Do you have mud in AZ?

Duh! But i have a Ryobi 3000 psi with different tips and a wash bucket and moves around quite easily. If there is any oil it is gone after that baby gets on it. Makes your bike look new again!

I have an 11 hp Honda-powered washer with a Cat pump. I use it on just about everything but my bikes. A good, motorcycle-specific cleaner/wash and a garden hose are all they really need. I don't really mind lubing all the bearings and other critical points, it's part of maintenance...but I sure don't want to do it more often than I have to...

i almost never use a pressure-washer on my bike. as a result, my bearings and seals last a long long time.

if you must use a bike-destroying-device, oops, i mean pressure washer, just get any old cheapie and be very careful around hubs, chain, fork seals, swingarm and linkage pivots, shifter shaft, head tube and radiator fins.

All I use is a mild automotive detergent and let it soak for about 10-15 minutes, then rinse with a garden hose + pressure nozzle. That's more than enough pressure to get off almost anything, especially here in the desert.

I got a Sears 6.5hp 2550 or near that. Looks like they are around $350.00. Has various tips, 30ft hose. Already used to do the siding and concrete patio. Works great on the bike.

Do you plan on using at the track? Some gas washers don't gravity feed and get primed that well from a tank. I have a small mini pump I hook up and plug into the generator so priming is a breeze.

i almost never use a pressure-washer on my bike. as a result, my bearings and seals last a long long time.

if you must use a bike-destroying-device, oops, i mean pressure washer, just get any old cheapie and be very careful around hubs, chain, fork seals, swingarm and linkage pivots, shifter shaft, head tube and radiator fins.

Alright Mark...obviously I'm gonna have to put my aluminum foil helmet back on to keep you from reading my mind. :applause:

(Don't get me wrong...it's flattering, but gives me a massive headache after a while!) :applause:

Check the scratch and dent section at the front of Home Depot and Lowe's stores. There's always open box and returns there. If you plan on using it for your car and other things (atv's or more bikes) get a decent size, and a honda motor.

Just be sure to buy the HotCams shim kit for it! :applause:

Don't flame me, I'm a Honda owner! That was pretty damned funny though!