Ranger/Rhino questions

I'm looking at buying one of these two side x sides and would like a little info. I see from previous posts, the Rhino is the more popular ride. I will be buying this so mama can take the little guys into the hills with the riders and so the grandparents can cruise around also. I will aslo be using it for hunting. I like the fact the Ranger can seat three in the front and two in the back with the added seat. It seems the Rhino is a little more performance oriented and the Ranger a little more work oriented.

Here is where I need help: How much better is the Rhino over the Ranger for what I am going to use it for? Is it worth losing the extra seat (there are five in the immediate family)? Will I be unhappy with the performance of the Ranger?

Has anyone tried to plate one of these in CA? Can it be done? Is there a company that makes a kit (signals/mirrors/etc.)? You can plate a golf cart here, I would imagine you can plate one of these. Thanks :applause:

Can you plate a "gas" golf cart? I think only the electric. Plus the golf cart doesnt come with an MSO or title saying it is an off road vehicle. I doubt you could platea Rhino here in CA unless you had an "insider" to help you out.

I drove a Rhino last weekend, what a kick in the a$$. I had a blast driving that through the sand washes and puddles out in ocotillo. Not sure I would be happy with the Ranger unless it performed the same. The Rhino seated 4 comfortable BTW.

Chris

I'm looking at buying one of these two side x sides and would like a little info. I see from previous posts, the Rhino is the more popular ride. I will be buying this so mama can take the little guys into the hills with the riders and so the grandparents can cruise around also. I will aslo be using it for hunting. I like the fact the Ranger can seat three in the front and two in the back with the added seat. It seems the Rhino is a little more performance oriented and the Ranger a little more work oriented.

Here is where I need help: How much better is the Rhino over the Ranger for what I am going to use it for? Is it worth losing the extra seat (there are five in the immediate family)? Will I be unhappy with the performance of the Ranger?

Has anyone tried to plate one of these in CA? Can it be done? Is there a company that makes a kit (signals/mirrors/etc.)? You can plate a golf cart here, I would imagine you can plate one of these. Thanks :applause:

We have a Rhino 660 and it's a great machine. My buddy has a Ranger and he loves it but I felt that the seating was very uncomfortable. They Rhino has contoured seats that hold you in but the Ranger just has flat seats and you have to hold on to keep from sliding around when you are zipping around. Plus my buddy has already had to replace his Auto Polaris Variable Transmission belt twice. Our Rhino has never had any issues and we couldn't be happier.

I have a Ranger 500 and I would be lost without it. We've had it for 3 years now and I've put it through more shit than you could imagine. It'll go 42mph (gps tracked) on level ground and will haul more weight than you could ask. We have a contract with DOT to spray weeds along roads in 3 counties. We use the Ranger for spraying the weeds in outfall ditches, which run perpendicular to the roads, can be up to 1/4 mile long, and are usually full of mud, stumps, and anything else that'll get you stuck. I put a 50 gal. tank in the bed with a hose reel and drive it through anything I want. If there isn't a path, I make one. Over the 3 years of using it, I've tipped it on it's side twice in a ditch and just about ripped the rear brush guard off while pulling a tree out of the woods. I've also had it in mud and water that was so deep, I was using a long stick to push the gas pedal.

Being able to seat 3 is very nice, and there are convenient grab handles for people to hold onto if they want. As for the belts, they WILL wear out if you don't put it in low gear while pulling or going through really difficult off-road sections. However, if you use your head, you won't have any problems. I'm still on my original belt, but I also have a 500 sportsman that went through several belts before I realized it needed to be in low gear (we tow with it 98% of the time).

I had a Kawasaki Mule before getting the Ranger and although it was tough as hell and would go through just about anything I could point it at, it was uncomfortable and slow. The Ranger is just as tough as the Mule, but also has an awesome suspension and will go 42mph. I haven't ridden in the Rhino (we bought the Ranger just before they came out), but judging by what I've read, the Ranger will out work the Rhino any day of the week. I figure why buy something that is ok for what you need right now, but may fall short when your needs change. I'd rather buy something that'll exceed your current needs and continue to satisfy you years later.

I have a Ranger 500 and I would be lost without it. We've had it for 3 years now and I've put it through more shit than you could imagine. It'll go 42mph (gps tracked) on level ground and will haul more weight than you could ask. We have a contract with DOT to spray weeds along roads in 3 counties. We use the Ranger for spraying the weeds in outfall ditches, which run perpendicular to the roads, can be up to 1/4 mile long, and are usually full of mud, stumps, and anything else that'll get you stuck. I put a 50 gal. tank in the bed with a hose reel and drive it through anything I want. If there isn't a path, I make one. Over the 3 years of using it, I've tipped it on it's side twice in a ditch and just about ripped the rear brush guard off while pulling a tree out of the woods. I've also had it in mud and water that was so deep, I was using a long stick to push the gas pedal.

Being able to seat 3 is very nice, and there are convenient grab handles for people to hold onto if they want. As for the belts, they WILL wear out if you don't put it in low gear while pulling or going through really difficult off-road sections. However, if you use your head, you won't have any problems. I'm still on my original belt, but I also have a 500 sportsman that went through several belts before I realized it needed to be in low gear (we tow with it 98% of the time).

I had a Kawasaki Mule before getting the Ranger and although it was tough as hell and would go through just about anything I could point it at, it was uncomfortable and slow. The Ranger is just as tough as the Mule, but also has an awesome suspension and will go 42mph. I haven't ridden in the Rhino (we bought the Ranger just before they came out), but judging by what I've read, the Ranger will out work the Rhino any day of the week. I figure why buy something that is ok for what you need right now, but may fall short when your needs change. I'd rather buy something that'll exceed your current needs and continue to satisfy you years later.

omg..... do not even get me started on this. You say the Ranger will out work the Rhino. As far as i know, the Ranger has: less torque, less top speed, but has an inch high on suspension travel and has uncomfortable seats.

As for the Rhino, It has 12" of ground clearance. Which is more than the Ranger XP! The Ranger XP, costs 1,000 more than the Rhino!

To see a true Comparision on how the Rhino 100% kills the Polaris watch this vid:click here

omg..... do not even get me started on this. You say the Ranger will out work the Rhino. As far as i know, the Ranger has: less torque, less top speed, but has an inch high on suspension travel and has uncomfortable seats.

As for the Rhino, It has 12" of ground clearance. Which is more than the Ranger XP! The Ranger XP, costs 1,000 more than the Rhino!

To see a true Comparision on how the Rhino 100% kills the Polaris watch this vid:click here

Do you own one, or are you just going off of facts that other people state?

Im wont say I own one, but a very close friend has one it is a 05. Our other friend has a Ranger maybe a 06.?? Anyway. The rhino will outrun the thing with ease. And makes it look like a Chinese motorcycle. Not only does the comfort suck, but so does the engine quality... he has been through 4 belts in 8 months

Of course the Polaris gets it's a$$ handed to it on a Yamaha site, how can you consider an advertisement a valid comparison???

I am sure some of the ATV magazines have done comparisons, possibly Consumer Reports also? I am in no way considering the Polaris "better", but at least use an independent assessment to make the decision! The 15 year-olds always seem to be the self-proclaimed "experts" on every topic in this forum :applause:

My buddy just bought a Ranger, his brother in law just bought a Rhino. The reason for buying the Ranger was for the three up seating in front. D had driven T's Rhino and loved it in the dunes, but felt he could fit more people and do more work in the Ranger. He considers both rigs unstoppable, with the Rhino being the sports machine and the Ranger being a fun work machine. Beer coolers fit in both, I know this first hand :applause:

Let me throw in another consideration. Just watched ATV TV last night and they showed a new Polaris call the Razor. Side by side with only a 50" track width. Completely oriented towards play, however it still has a small bed in back. Seats sit in front of the engine therefore creating a very low center of gravity. Can't remember engine details.

Now, I'm not a big fan of Polaris (just my opinon), but this looked way more sporty than even a Rhino.

Of course the Polaris gets it's a$$ handed to it on a Yamaha site, how can you consider an advertisement a valid comparison???

If you actually watch the comparison, it is very well done. Not bashing at all, it just visually shows the capabilities of each rig in action, in real time.

Watch it then decide if it isn't valid. The video camera isn't lying.

I watched it and will say that it's obvious Yamaha wanted the Rhino to look better. Find a source that's unbiased. Some of the points they say make the Rhino better are not much diffrent than the Ranger. Take the 4wd system for instance... You have a button on both machines to activate the 4wd, and then two different methods to lock the rear differential. The Rhino has a buton and the Ranger has a handle you pull down. It's not like the handle on the Ranger is hard to pull down or anything, so I don't know what their arguement is. They're just different.

As for them showing the ranger loaded down bucking back and forth, that's BS. I've had my Ranger loaded with logs in the back that almost came to the top of the rollcage while having half a tree dragging behind it and it ran fine. No bucking, no loss of control, and it was just as smooth as if it wasn't loaded. Not nearly as quick, but that's expected. I'm willing to bet I can load more in my Ranger and pull more weight than a Rhino can. If anyone's in northeast Floida and would like to find out, let me know.

Oh, and don't pay any attention to what those 15 and 16 year olds are telling you because more than likely they're only repeating what they've read somewhere else. I also hope you don't make your decision based on what I or anyone else on here says. Unless someone has both and pushes both to their capabilities, they won't truly know which one is better. I would suggest going to the dealerships and testdriving each. Find out which has the most options you like and buy the one you think you'll enjoy the most.

Good luck.

Watch the Yamaha site and the Rhino is the best. Go to Polaris, and the video shows how Ranger is best. Don't listed to some of these dumb ass kids. I own a Rhino and love it. My dad owns a Ranger and loves it! They both do the job. I was reading a magazine called SIDE X SIDE (or something like that) and they like the Artic Cat Prowler the best.

But comparing the Ranger and Rhino is like comparing Chevy and Ford. Same thing, only different! Style & comfort goes to Rhino. Work load goes to Ranger. As far as a back seat goes, I'd go w/ the Ranger. It has more room in the bed. The Rhino drives more like a car, while the Ranger drives like a bus. Ranger feels more stable due to it's 6 inchs wider than the Rhino (wheel spacer takes care of that). As far as aftermarket crap, they are both the same. And yes, both mine and my dads are street legal.