Sign in to follow this  

Dead Starter

So, I just ran some tests and found out that my battery is good(new), my starter relay is new, and there is power to my starter motor when I pull the clutch and push the button. Looks like it's time to replace/re-build my starter. This really sucks because I had my engine pulled for a month while re-building it after a head-on collision cracked my case and thrashed my tranny. My bike is back in action but no e-button. I have a service manual and it shows that I have to pull the cylinder to get the starter off. Any time/problem saving tips out there? Do I buy a whole new starter or re-build? Any good advice appreciated.

So, I just ran some tests and found out that my battery is good(new), my starter relay is new, and there is power to my starter motor when I pull the clutch and push the button. Looks like it's time to replace/re-build my starter. This really sucks because I had my engine pulled for a month while re-building it after a head-on collision cracked my case and thrashed my tranny. My bike is back in action but no e-button. I have a service manual and it shows that I have to pull the cylinder to get the starter off. Any time/problem saving tips out there? Do I buy a whole new starter or re-build? Any good advice appreciated.

Before you do anything else, rap your starter motor sharply with a small hammer, or another tool. Sometimes the brushes in the starter are stuck, and a sharp rap breaks them loose and solves the problem.

Otherwise you should disassemble the starter motor and check the brush condition. They could be broken or worn out.

I havn't had to take an X starter apart for any reason yet, however this is standard procedure.

Hey thanks Maico,

The starter will work every once in a while but I will try the old "Ford" technique I did with my dad.I was really wondering if anybody had actually re-built their starter or just bought a new one?

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I was out at Hollister this morning... complaining to some friends about my e-start problems. I tried it and nothing happened- just click-click from the relay. Then I told my buddy how some guy (maico 450) on thumpertalk said that I should try and rap on the starter with a hammer. We both agreed that it couldn't hurt, so I hit the starter a couple of times with a ratchet and it cranked over like it was brand new. It worked all day. I stopped and re-started about 10-15 times- no problem. Sure the brushes could probably be re-built, but not today! Cheapest, Fastest fix in along time,Thanks Maico 450

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I was out at Hollister this morning... complaining to some friends about my e-start problems. I tried it and nothing happened- just click-click from the relay. Then I told my buddy how some guy (maico 450) on thumpertalk said that I should try and rap on the starter with a hammer. We both agreed that it couldn't hurt, so I hit the starter a couple of times with a ratchet and it cranked over like it was brand new. It worked all day. I stopped and re-started about 10-15 times- no problem. Sure the brushes could probably be re-built, but not today! Cheapest, Fastest fix in along time,Thanks Maico 450

Your welcome. I learned that trick back in 1974. As you can see, it still works.

I rode all day again today and the starter worked flawlessly.I was shepherding some little guys and must have stopped/re-started 20 times.