Sign in to follow this  

My First Race

My first race was a sweet and sour type affair:

I entered the 250 beginner class, but was thrown in with the 125s since there were only a couple of us in the 250 class. I lined up in the middle of the pack (20-25), had an ok start (4th in the first turn - 450 surely helped there), and proceeded to pass the first 2 riders before half of the 1st lap was over. Then I started working on 1st place. He was a strong rider, but I had him overpowered since I was on a 450 and he a 125. I managed to pass him on a straight after the whoop section before the end of the first lap. After that I just opened up the gap between us, even lapped a few riders, and finished with 2nd place nowhere to be seen. One thing I did not predict was the physical exertion a race puts you in. I felt like I was in good shape, but after 2 laps, I was dead - even the commentator mentioned something about me getting tired and my elbows being down near the end of the race. So that was the 'sweet' - 1st place in my first race - felt really good and I'll never forget it.

2m499hl.jpg

Now for the sour: Second race of the day - I was now in a double start, intermediate 125 first then a mix of junior and beginner 125/250 in the second line. My start wasn't so great this time - I was maybe 8-10 out of the first corner. I passed 4-5 riders rather quickly and was now working on the front runners. Then, IT happened. Not 100' after finishing the first lap, I hit an outside line to the long straight away, got a really good drive passing a rider in the process, and when I looked up, I was WAY outside... heading straight for some hay bails... I tried to gently correct it, but there was a big divot in the straight away and the back end came out and threw me right off. After getting up, I was on my back facing the oncoming riders, when boom, I get nailed in the shoulder by an oncoming bike. Felt like some giant from neverneverland swung at me with a golf club. I immediately got up, stumbled to the bike, and got it started. Then I felt something funny in my shoulder. I decided it'd be better to call it quits and head for the pits.

I had broken my collar bone, but I don't regret a thing - it was one of the best days of my life.

Here's the video - unfortunately the digi cam ran out of memory before you see the guy hit me, but you get the idea.

regular speed: View My Video

slow mo: View My Video

Wow man, sorry to hear about the crash. On my first race I severely sprained my ankle, and i broke my collarbone also about 4-5 months ago.

Awesome to hear about the 1st place finish though, great job.

This was at Sand Del Lee near Ottawa, Ontario (Canada) on September 2, 2006. Track website is: http://www.mx101.ca/

...edit: sorry, just noticed you live in ON, I put the Canada in there for the yanks. I hear Gopher is opening in April, may try to make a trip down (1mth earlier then our track)

Im gonna try to make it out to Ottawa this year too ..how far would you say from Toronto?

Ottawa would be approx 4.5hrs from TO... the track is a little closer geographically, but probably not that much closer in time. They are adding 2 arenacross style tracks this year - 1 beginner and 1 pro... should be interesting!

Link works for me...maybe it was down when you tried it.

works now

Dude. I never get what you say.

I just keep staring at your avatar trying to see details....! :applause:

man that sucks about breaking ur bone, but nice job on first!