Global Warming

I have been zoned into my own little world for the last few hours rebuilding the motor of my YZ250 project bike when I opened up my garage door and said to myself ! Grabbing my ruler I determined that there is 5.75" of snow on the ground here in Mill Creek and it is still snowing. This is pure :applause: , I want to ride!!!

This reminds me of a Drew Carey comedy special when he was talking about how cold Cleveland is.

"Where's all this global warming we've been hearing about?...all I do is sit outside with an aerosol can and spray....

"Where's all this global warming we've been hearing about?...all I do is sit outside with an aerosol can and spray....

I'm with you, empty all our aerosol cans into the atmosphere. Next time you see someone on a bicycle encourage them to turn from the dark side to internal combustion (the right side). Support burning the rain forest. Lets heat things up around here. Lets pass a bill to melt all the glaciers of the world for fresh drinking water. (Even with all that we will still be out in the cold) :applause:

OK. I will be the guy to take all the s*^#

Yes, I love to ride bikes and yes I do drive a car.

But that doesent give me the right to close my eyes and pretend it does not have an effect on the world around me. I dont know what studies are correct and what ones are wrong, but to think that we are not in some way changing things by putting millions of tons of smoke into the air every year is just plain crazy!

Please guys, let common sense prevail. You can still enjoy ridding your bike, just keep your eyes open while you do it.

I'm with you, empty all our aerosol cans into the atmosphere. Next time you see someone on a bicycle encourage them to turn from the dark side to internal combustion (the right side). Support burning the rain forest. Lets heat things up around here. Lets pass a bill to melt all the glaciers of the world for fresh drinking water. (Even with all that we will still be out in the cold) :applause:

Holy crap... :applause:

Well I might be on the other side of the fence here, the grass is much greener. Many "scientists" (I probably spelled that wrong) look at the earths temp in years, decades or hundred year cycles(proponets of "global warming). When looking at something as masive as the earth you need to understand that things warm and cool on cycles that take thousands and thousands or years to cycle. Just like every day in spokane it gradually gets colder around october. Does that mean we are in a global cooling cycle? No its a cycle, called seasons, now look at the earth in a magnified cycle. Pluse... Studys have shown that it tends to warm pre ice age or mini ice age. This theory is cemented by the fact that areas in which normaly have no glaciers end up having them. In order for snow and ice to accumulate you need precipitaion, most of our rain in precipitated from the ocean. Warmer weather- melt polar caps- more ocean water (less salt concentrate) - warmer weather-more precipitaion - cold snap- more snow - ice age. Its a trend.

Just my two cents, not saying I'm right by any means (don't go starting tire fires or anything) but just another idea on what is happening on our earth. More ridding less typing :applause:

HOLY HOT TREE ROOTS, Batman. I think we hit a hot one here! I didn't realize not knowing the difference between Metric and Whitworth snow would cause such an upROAR! When I die I'm coming back again in 20 years to check out what really happened to Global Warming. Hopefully I'll be faster.

Here is an interesting link discussing Global Warming. Read it before you decide to close the page. It's objectivity may surprise you. It is a short article and a quick read.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n2/global-warming

I am one who doubts we humans will have much effect on this issue but even if I am wrong I doubt we can do as much about it as some claim.

Aerosols containing CFCs are linked to depletion of the ozone layer, which is a separate issue from global warming.

We get energy from the sun - electromagnetic energy. Some of that energy is visible and some is too high in the spectrum for us to see. We call that ultra-violet light. U.V. light is the piece of the spectrum where earth derives its heat. The U.V. light enters into earth's atmosphere and is converted to long-wave radiation as it strikes things like clouds, the earth, air-borne solids and gases, and other objects. Ozone is a gas that forms a layer in the outer atmosphere (naturally occurring ozone at least). That layer shields us from U.V. radiation and traps the heat that is produced as short-wave energy is converted into long-wave energy. If there was no ozone layer, then the heat would radiate back into space. You would be able to walk outside your house, anywhere in the world, and freeze to death while receiving 3rd-degree sunburn.

I do think the two issues are related.

Global Warming models were referenced in the article OMT linked. One thing that isn't discussed is the role clouds play in those models. The simulations were constructed by humans with biases. Inputting the same atmospheric data into different models yields different results with one exception...none of the simulations know what to do about clouds.

Will there be more clouds or less clouds? Will the clouds cool the surface of the earth (like the shade of a tree), or will they serve as heat sinks further exacerbating global temperature increase?

If solid water is turned to liquid water, will ocean temperatures decrease, increasing the potential for energy absorption, and effectively, lower earth's surface temperature?

If there is more liquid water, will evaporation continue at the known and measured rate? If it remains constant, will that increase the amount of moisture in the air? If that is true, could total annual precipitation remain constant, while seasonal variation become more extreme? (wetter wet periods and drier dry periods, but the same amount of rain measured over the year).

If evaporation slows, earth's waters will rise. More water=cooler temperatures. If evaporation increases, precipitation will increase. More precipitation=cooler temperatures.

It takes a lot of energy to raise or lower the temperature of water. Water likes to hold its energy. Clouds are made of water...if there is too much moisture in the air (like 100% =saturation), the moisture must come out of the gas phase and enter either the solid or liquid phase. Whether it is liquid or solid, it's going to hit the earth...cooling it.

Psycho: The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.

Leon: Ooooooh.

Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. Also, I don't like no one touching my stuff. So just keep your meathooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. And I don't like nobody touching me. Any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

Stripes, 1981.