Sign in to follow this  

Stupid seat cover question

Ok I feel like an idiot asking this question, but... what type of staple gun do you guys use to attach seat covers to the seat. I've bought two staple guns in the last couple days and neither will penetrate the plastic seat base.:applause: I hate to bother everyone with this one but i don't want to waste anymore money and I really want to have my bike ready to ride this weekend.:applause:

Arrow T50. i just used it the other day on my seat and it worked great. But only with the short staples, the same lenghts as the ones that came out. 5mm if i remember correctly.

I used the same size that came out of the seat.:applause: The first staple gun i bought was a cheap walmart pos. The second one was a $35 stanley from Home Depot. I figured i just bought a cheap gun but even the good one barely penetrates 1mm.

I bought a craftsman electric one and it worked fine. I think it was about $35.

this crap is pissing me off! i have about a million holes in my seat cover and not a single staple has stuck in the plastic seat base. The staples penetrate about 1/32" and come out simply by flipping the seat right side up.:applause: :applause: :lol::cry: :cry: :eek::p :p My seat cover is so full of holes that even if the staples penetrated deep enough to do anything i think the cover would come apart. :p:mad::lol::D :D :D :D :) :) .... sorry about the rant guys

On the optimistic side... my left nut is still in one peice thanks to the pos staple gun that doen't have enough power to penetrate my jeans. however on the :applause: side... I just checked out the motosports cataloge and they sell a factory effects gripper seat for $45.

If you're not tired of buying staple guns & have a compressor go to Harbor Freight & purchase a pneumatic stapler item #46365. Then go to Ace Hardware & get 1/4" 6mm heavy duty staples. This works perfectly & is identical in appearance to factory (at least on my Honda). If you don't have a compressor, use a heat gun to soften the plastic to allow staples to sink more easily, though this is a pain in the butt as your fingers will get hot & you risk melting the cover from constantly reheating the plastic as it cools.

I stapled my seat cover on with a spring staple gun. Mine was strong enough as long as you pushed really hard. It was like a $15.00 gun I think. The back of the gun was the trigger. It worked.

Mine was strong enough as long as you pushed really hard. .

yer this guy is correct.. put all your weight over the gun

If you're not tired of buying staple guns & have a compressor go to Harbor Freight & purchase a pneumatic stapler item #46365. Then go to Ace Hardware & get 1/4" 6mm heavy duty staples. This works perfectly & is identical in appearance to factory (at least on my Honda). If you don't have a compressor, use a heat gun to soften the plastic to allow staples to sink more easily, though this is a pain in the butt as your fingers will get hot & you risk melting the cover from constantly reheating the plastic as it cools.

Wish I would have done this, they have one on their site for $20. I just paid $25 for an electric one that worked ok. It took me like 3 hours to get mine on my step seat I made. All in all, I will never do it again, take it to an upholstery shop for $20.

I had the same problem with staples not penetrating until I braced the seat on a HARD surface (per someone's advice here on TT). If the seat is on your lap or on a carpeted surface, there is just enough give to keep the staple from fully penetrating.