Sign in to follow this  

96 xr400 Mukuni Pumper carb question

Just picked up my 96xr440 that i got for 1500 bucks. It needs a new fuel line and a few other things from honda tomorrow. Anyways, i took the old line off the 90 degree fuel inlet nipple and noticed that it is threaded. However, it is loose, i can spin it very easy. There is a metal stopper that would keep it from falling out. I wanted to tighten it but there is an adjustable needle/spring with a plastic knob blocking it. I believe it is was removed i would be able to tighten the fuel inlet nipple. Is it normal to be loose and able to spin or does it need to be tight?

what do you guys recommend to get this thing started? Should i pull the carb or just pray and start kicking with fresh gas?

The air boot from the carb to the air cleaner is cracked down the side, honda lists at 50 bucks, anywhere else for cheaper, aftermarket, etc??

thanks

erik

also, i am not sure which mukuni pumper this carb is (it came from XR's only- im assuming its prob the 36mm). Is there any charts online chats that i can find out what it is by a casting number on the carb?

I might need to pull the carb off since the bike has not been started in a year or so...

Thats funny, my 96 XR had the same problem with its insulator. It caused an air leak and had to replace it. I dont think you will be able to substitute that part with anything other than an OEM. Did you try and price that insulator from servicehonda.com? They have cheaper OEM Honda prices than bikebandit.com.

The pipe is loose on mine to.It spins very easy.No leaks at all.

Yeah, the swiveling of the fuel inlet is normal.

That spring and black knob is the idle adjust screw.

Since you can't do anything with it til you find a replacement air boot, I'd go ahead and remove the carb and give it a good cleaning.

For sure replace the gas.

The air boot at service honda is $33.93.