Sign in to follow this  

Athena Big Bore Kits

I am thinking of purchasing an Athena 280cc Big Bore Kit for my 2004-250X, and wondered what the folks who have experiance with this kit think about its performance & reliability.

Actually, information on any big-bore kit is of interest to me.

Do a search. There are many threads on the Athena, TR270, TM307

My buddy has Athena 280 ... and I have the Thumper Racing 270 kit ... with RHC (Ron Hamp) pre-assembled 07 R head with his valves. Both are working great!

Look thru this forum---there was a thread just recently on a big bore that came apart. Unless the opening in the cases is machined larger, a bigger bore means a thinner cylinder liner, whichever kit is involved.

I am thinking of purchasing an Athena 280cc Big Bore Kit for my 2004-250X, and wondered what the folks who have experiance with this kit think about its performance & reliability.

I just installed an Athena 280 kit and was totally impressed with the quality and design. Very professional. Has a steel liner that appears ample strong.

Havn,t tested mine yet, but also havn't heard any bad comments.

• Like 1

I just installed an Athena 280 kit and was totally impressed with the quality and design. Very professional. Has a steel liner that appears ample strong.

Havn,t tested mine yet, but also havn't heard any bad comments.

Did get out on mine for a few minutes yesterday. What an amazing increase in low and midrange power. Worth every $$.

where is the best price on an Athena 280 kit? fixing to get on 07 head with rons valvles anyoe know if thumper store has the kit?

I absolutly love my Athena, cant give you absolutly correct results, because I changed to stainless valves, and installed ahot cams stage 1, but All of that increase the power everywhere!! Mostly on the bottom and mid, some on top!!! I can keep up with 450s until about 45mph, then they pass me!!

I'm thinking about buying one of the 2 kits for my Honda CFR 250X. What are the benefits or differences between the Thumper Racing 270 Kit v.s. the Athena 280 Kit?

Gonna have to bump this, I am curious! SOMEONE has to have an opinion? There is also a 300 kit out there but you have to machine the cases a little... anyone??

I have the Athena 280 with an RHC 07 R head and a Stage 1 Hot Cams and the bike rips !!!!

A KTM 2 stroke guy rode it last night and wants to come over to our side now

I'm thinking about buying one of the 2 kits for my Honda CFR 250X. What are the benefits or differences between the Thumper Racing 270 Kit v.s. the Athena 280 Kit?

With the Athena you get a complete new cylinder with pistin rings, etc. With the TR270, you send them your cylinder and they sleeve it.

The Athena is a Nickel Carbide coated cylinder, while the TR 270 is plain old cast iron.

I have the Athena 280 with an RHC 07 R head and a Stage 1 Hot Cams and the bike rips !!!!

A KTM 2 stroke guy rode it last night and wants to come over to our side now

Joe did you re jet it after the last time I rode it?

Check E-bay, you'll be suprised.

There is a whopping 2 kits on Ebay, and one is the Vertex kit and the guy claims it is a machine free install... BS... you have to split the case, don't you on the 300 kit?

My prior post was misleading. I meant you'd be suprised at the price difference. I'm looking at the Athena kit as well and am shopping around. On E-bay I found the Athena 280 kit for - $629 shipped. The Athena 280 kit CRF's Only lists is $780 That's a serious discrepancy in price if it's the same kit. I'm still a month away from pullin' the trigger so I'll keep looking.

My prior post was misleading. I meant you'd be suprised at the price difference. I'm looking at the Athena kit as well and am shopping around. On E-bay I found the Athena 280 kit for - $629 shipped. The Athena 280 kit CRF's Only lists is $780 That's a serious discrepancy in price if it's the same kit. I'm still a month away from pullin' the trigger so I'll keep looking.

Lukesracing- $600.

Has anyone seen a better price than this?????

WR G.