Sign in to follow this  

How about a regular old plumbing O-ring?

It's clearly time to try the O-ring trick, but I don't have any industrial supply shops nearby. Has anyone tried O-rings from Home Despot's plumbing aisle?

Seems like it's worth a try. For those who've tried JD's (I already have his original 250x jet kit) - should I look for the toughest, strongest 1/2" diameter ring I can find?

Pete

Thanks Agent,

I'll try to find one as close as possible to the larger, or maybe 2 small ones.

Pete

I went to advanced auto and grabbed an o ring kit off the shelf. Used the:

ID=5/16" OD=7/16" per red beards instructions. I only have 6 hours on the oring, but no issues. As for durability of the oring, its a work in progress.

Most bike shops have an assortment of o-rings too.

+1.

5 cents a piece so I bought a bunch of different sizes.

I used the O rings from an extra master link that I had laying around.

Just the right size :applause: I used two, just to be on the safe side. Installed the rings with the carb on the bike, just used a small pick and they went right on.

an oring in the plumbing aisle is likely to be made from EPDM rubber. This is good for water and various chemicals but will be disolved over time by gas or oil. The easiest oring material to find that would handle gas and oil would be buna-n, nitrile or viton. Bike shops or car places will have that kind of rubber and not the EPDM rubber that a plumbing place would have.

Why not just wire it. The o-ring did not help my bike, it streched and had the same afect as it had with the o-ring off. I just used some brass wire and did it up real nice. Works great.