Sign in to follow this  

Any "real" advantage to aluminum sprockets?

Other than the weight difference, is there any advantage? Also, what is the original sprocket?

Thanks.

I think the stocker was aluminum. It didn't stand a chance. My understanding is that the steel wear better and you can't notice the difference in weight. All I can say is that I am not buying Renthal anymore for where I ride.

• Like 1

There really isn't any advantage to an aluminum sprockets, you will probably never notice it being lighter by a couple of ounces.

On a second note, I had renthal front and real sprockets w/ a non o-ring renthal chain and they lasted 65 hours, that is when the chain was totally hooped and had worn out the sprockets.

I now have new renthal front and rear sprockets w/ a regina ORN-6 oring chain, hopefully that will last atleast 100 hours.

But if you do need new sprockets I would look at (I should have got these)

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm

The stock rear sprocket is aluminum and the gearing was 13T front 51T rear, I use 13T and 52T

• Like 1

Hey Mike, you and Honda_250f_rider are always so helpful and willing to assist, even with my stupid questions, that I raised both of your "reputations".

I would do the same for Fred, but apparently you can't raise a mod's reputation. If you're listening Fred, I really appreciate your insight and knowledge. This place is great.

There really isn't any advantage to an aluminum sprockets, you will probably never notice it being lighter by a couple of ounces.

On a second note, I had renthal front and real sprockets w/ a non o-ring renthal chain and they lasted 65 hours, that is when the chain was totally hooped and had worn out the sprockets.

I now have new renthal front and rear sprockets w/ a regina ORN-6 oring chain, hopefully that will last atleast 100 hours.

But if you do need new sprockets I would look at (I should have got these)

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm

The stock rear sprocket is aluminum and the gearing was 13T front 51T rear, I use 13T and 52T

I've been contemplating a 52T rear but I'm worried that I'll end up shifting all the time. How do you find the 52T to be on the track? I hit most jumps right around the top of 3rd gear or low 4th. Will this be affected by the extra tooth? Thanks.

I've been contemplating a 52T rear but I'm worried that I'll end up shifting all the time. How do you find the 52T to be on the track? I hit most jumps right around the top of 3rd gear or low 4th. Will this be affected by the extra tooth? Thanks.

I am not that great of a track rider, have only 65 hours of seat time, comfortable w/ taking smaller jumps and stuff, but more time spent riding woods... From my experience I have zero problems w/ the 52T...

Hey Mike, you and Honda_250f_rider are always so helpful and willing to assist, even with my stupid questions, that I raised both of your "reputations".

I would do the same for Fred, but apparently you can't raise a mod's reputation. If you're listening Fred, I really appreciate your insight and knowledge. This place is great.

Thanks Weez and drinks are on me. :applause: Funny thing with the gas gauge- All my feedback has been good but I noticed that from last night to today I actually dropped down. I don't get it. Who did I piss off? Thanks for filling me up- I'm back up again.:applause:

Glad I can help. I have the ability as a moderator to turn my gas off, but thanks anyway.

On my 04 it needed the 52 sprocket because it didn't have as much on the bottom as my 05. With my 05 the 51 works pretty good, even in the woods.

I picked up a few Renthal sprockets from a TT member for a smoking deal so I've been running those. If you run an x-ring chain an aluminum sprocket will last quite a while. I wouldn't even attempt using an non o-ring chain with one.

On my 04 it needed the 52 sprocket because it didn't have as much on the bottom as my 05. With my 05 the 51 works pretty good, even in the woods.

I picked up a few Renthal sprockets from a TT member for a smoking deal so I've been running those. If you run an x-ring chain an aluminum sprocket will last quite a while. I wouldn't even attempt using an non o-ring chain with one.

Im running 13 52, with a non oring chains and renthal sprockets...Seems fine to me.. :applause:

If you weigh an aluminum sprocket and compare it to an identically sized steel sprocket, the weight difference is closer to a full pound.

Does it make a difference? Maybe not. Mentally, it bothers me. I cannot help but think "What is the purpose of buying a state of the art 6500.00 bike, then slapping one part on it that adds over a pound to unsprung weight?" Steel sprockets do last longer, but I have never had any reason to be upset with the life of an aluminum sprocket.

If you weigh an aluminum sprocket and compare it to an identically sized steel sprocket, the weight difference is closer to a full pound.

Does it make a difference? Maybe not. Mentally, it bothers me. I cannot help but think "What is the purpose of buying a state of the art 6500.00 bike, then slapping one part on it that adds over a pound to unsprung weight?" Steel sprockets do last longer, but I have never had any reason to be upset with the life of an aluminum sprocket.

I agree....a GOOD aluminum sprocket on a well maintained quality chain will last a long time. The unsprung weight advantage is real and a heavier steel sprocket will dcrease acceleration and rob a bit of horsepower.....will you notice? Maybe, maybe not....

I say weight is the enemy....go aluminum! :applause:

I agree....a GOOD aluminum sprocket on a well maintained quality chain will last a long time. The unsprung weight advantage is real and a heavier steel sprocket will dcrease acceleration and rob a bit of horsepower.....will you notice? Maybe, maybe not....

I say weight is the enemy....go aluminum! :applause:

In the case of wear vs. weight....go Ironman:worthy:

Speaking of weight. I just swapped out my wheels with the Trelleborg studded tires on them.

The 18" wheel I have seup with studs (Excel 18" w/Buchannon o/s spokes) weighs 8lbs more than the OEM setup.:applause: