Sign in to follow this  

GS500 wheels and Speedometer

Might be doing the hooligan mod, just wondering if you can rig up the stock speedometer to work. 2005 drz400S. (Any way possible, I want to keep the stock speedo setup)

Is there a change in overall tire circumference? If so, you will have to (maybe) have the gears changed in the speedo drive. This would entail going to a shop that calibrates speedos. You other option would be to find a speedo drive unit that already has the proper ratio, this would be fairly difficult.

The GS drive mechanism is on the opposite side to the DRZ. If I recall the DRZ speedo drive assembly is to big to fit all the hub spacings etc, as I had considered using an SM drive on that side.

I never looked at using the GS parts though as i did not have access to them. Vapour or GPS would likely be the best bets. I run GPS. There are various bicycle speedometers that have been adapted to this sort of purpose though.

yeah like the doc said for about $25 you can get the mt bike magnetic pick up speed and odo combo takes about 10 mins to install and you input your wheel diameter for calibration so you could use itwith boths sets of rims if you wanted

Thing is, I want to keep the origanel speedometer and odometer. Is there any way possible that this could work? GS speedo cable to the drz speedometer?

Has anyone done that?

Anyone have any links to what is req. to spec out a set of GS500 wheels so that they'll fit a 400e?

The stock GS drive will not work due to the too small axle diameter once you mod the wheel to fit the DRZ axle. I am in work on finding a speedometer drive that may work, but you will have to move the cable over to the same side as the brake. More to come!

GS speedo cable to the drz speedometer?

You may be OK from that point of view, the fittings and threads are pretty standard across the range.

Your problem will be getting the spindle through the GS speedo drive, unless they are late model wheels, which have a larger spindle(I think).

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol: