Sign in to follow this  

79 MX100 carb settings?

I can't find any info on line! Does anybody know the stock settings for this bike? This bike has been thoroughly monkied. The bike starts GREAT!!!! but dies when any throttle is applied, or when the choke is turned off. Kind of like flooding, but fires up in half a kick, if you pull the choke out. No choke, no start, or run. Not enough fuel is what I'm thinking.

Yamaha has placed alot of the parts fiches online on their USA web site. You'll find what you're looking for there.

Don't need to pay anything or register to view them.

It's good stuff, check it out.

www.yamaha-motor.com --> Sport --> Parts and Service --> View Parts Catalog

The parts list doesnt help, thanks. I have all the parts. I need to know the settings. It also only goes back to 98 for the manuals. I used the RT100 for reference. Doesnt say squat about carb adjustments. I still need help!

Someplace I've got a really nice Chiltons hard bound bible with all that stuff in it. It seems to have disappeared. Hmmmm....

Fortunately we've got a great local dealer here, Kassons, and they keep that old data around.

Float height is 21mm +/- 1mm. No air screw spec but 1.5 - 1.75 is generally a fair place to begin. Needle clip is #3 but it's not spec'd if that's from the top or bottom.

Please check this...its been along time so I might be wrong!

The main jet in the MX100 is actually located in what looks to be a carb drain cap on the float bowl.These will often become blocked and cause the condition you describe.

:applause: Ignoe my prevoios message ,just checked the last year for the remote main jet was 1975.Please check for blocked pilot and main jet though....

According to this Clymer Manual, the carb specs are:

Model Number - VM22SS

I.D. mark - 3M100

Main jet no. - 130

Needle jet no. - 0-6

Pilot Jet no. - 17.5

Jet needle no. - 4L6

Clip position - 3

Float level - 0.83" (21.0mm)

Air screw baseline should be 1 1/2 turns out, with 1/4 turn increment adjustments either way.

It does sound as if your pilot jet is clogged, and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Your best bet is to take the pilot and main jet to your local dealer or bike shop and let them match up with jets they have in stock.

Thanks guys! I have soaked and cleaned the carb, and did find a turd in the pilot jet. Now that I have all the much needed specs for the carb, I can assemble it knowing it's good