Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel bearings

I have an 04 yzf250, bought it new and have had to replace the front wheel bearins twice. I did though only replace the bad one each time. My fron wheel is loose again so I'm replacing both this time. My friends who ride the other makes say they've never replaced front wheel bearings, how about you guys.

I've never had a wheel bearing go bad on any bike I've owned in the last 15 years. The only wheel bearings I've ever had to change where on a wheel I bought that sat in someone's basement for a while and rusted up. I just keep the seals greased and don't blast them directly with water when I wash the bike.

I ride and race in the mud alot so I use a pressure washer to clean my bike and guess I do probably hit the fron bearings to hard. Also it semms like it's always the left one that goes bad, could it be from turning harder left? Hummm! Anway thanks and I will keep them greased and away from the pressure washer.

When you replace the bearings , go with an after market set such as motion pro . For some strange reason , the OEM's are not the sealed type . Spend the extra 5 bux and get the good chit . :applause:

When you replace the bearings , go with an after market set such as motion pro . For some strange reason , the OEM's are not the sealed type . Spend the extra 5 bux and get the good chit . :applause:

Good chit? All chit stinks to me... :applause:

I have an 04 and have gone through 2 bearing sets. I attribute that to a lot of mud riding up here in WA. I do grease things up a bit but with the cleaning and a lot of mud riding, well, they do go bad.

I like using Pivot Works as they seem to work well.

mx813

If the wheels get overtightened it is possible to crush that stupid spacer that sits between the bearings. This side loads the new pieces when you put them in.

Or, open up your new bearings suing an exacto knife. Carefully open up the seals. Notice how little grease is inside of them? Its almost as if the bike assembly guys get to grease the sealed bearings. They are forced the same tube of grease as is used in motorcycle assembly. The factory only buys 1 tube of grease per year. It has to last for the entire production run. Any moisture that gets inside is going to stay there. I open mine up once a year and refill with good grease.

I had never had to replace a wheel bearing before either, until I bought a used 06. It needed fronts. I don't know if that bike came with grease anywhere, especially on the steering stem.

I just replaced my front bearings with Pivot Works double sealed bearing--got 3 rides on them and the left one has seized??? I have since "unseized" them and have repacked them with waterproof grease. I don't understand how this has happened because I always wash the bike with a hose (our water pressure is low too). I did notice that the disc side spacer has two parallel lines in it where the seal rides; are these lines "normal" or has my spacer worn??

I just replaced the front wheel bearings on my 03. All the grease gets spun out and they get worn quickly. I will have to repack them every once in a while from now on.

I have an 04 and I have gone through 2 sets now. I just buy bearings in bulk now from my local supplier. It's a 6904 bearing. Call around, sometimes you can find them pretty cheap.

It seems on all my 4 strokes 400,426, and 2 250f's I've changed the front bearings at about the 80 hr mark. It seems to be a 4 stroke thing as I don't recall many changes on my old 2 smokes and they were in a lot worse shape and got a lot worse maintenance back in the day (back when I was younger and dumber).

A bearing rep told me the biggest reason that bearings go bad besides grit and foreign particles or no grease at all is over greasing the bearings. I looked at him like &%$#@! are you talking about. He proceeded to convince me with facts and figures and data from his egghead engineers until I was/am a believer. I still don't over grease bearings because of his input.