Sign in to follow this  

Faulty torque wrench

So after i was checking my friction plates i was bolting the pressure plate back on and all the bolts clicked at the right torque except one. So i gave it a few more turns and boom the bolt snapped. I was so pissed, luckily i got it out with a magnet. Now the question is why did the bolt just keep turning? just like when i was bolting on my case 2 bolts just kept spining but luckily i stopped. I kno the aluminum is soft as hell, and i also heard that Honda torque specs are too tight. So now i got a new bolt so will it be ok to put back in, just instead not tighten as much? i didnt rip the threads out so its ok. Should i tighten it up a little less then recomended by feel and maybe put a little bit of locktite to be sure?? I dont want this bolt to come out when im riding! Thanks

Ya,id go mabe 3-5 pounds less and use red loktite.You should use loktite on any bolt on a dirt bike.

Ya,id go mabe 3-5 pounds less and use red loktite.You should use loktite on any bolt on a dirt bike.

Maybe in this specific area red locktite is needed, I am not sure..

but for the majority of bolts on the bike I would be using the blue locktite to avoid snapping more bolts on disassembly!

I know at my work they have things that you can test the torque wrench on to make sure it is in spec... maybe your local tool store would let you borrow one?

Once you have had and used your torqe wrench for a while it will need to be recalibrated. They need to be zeroed out after every use or they will go out very quick.

My guess. You are using a large torque wrench. If this is the same torque wrench you use on your cars lug nuts, it is to BIG for small bolts, especially in aluminum.

I snapped a valve cover bolt that way. I found that you have to keep a torque wrench lubricated, just spray lube anywhere there's movement in the wrench, and also re-set to its minimum setting when you're finnished useing it.

So after i was checking my friction plates i was bolting the pressure plate back on and all the bolts clicked at the right torque except one. So i gave it a few more turns and boom the bolt snapped. I was so pissed, luckily i got it out with a magnet. Now the question is why did the bolt just keep turning? just like when i was bolting on my case 2 bolts just kept spining but luckily i stopped. I kno the aluminum is soft as hell, and i also heard that Honda torque specs are too tight. So now i got a new bolt so will it be ok to put back in, just instead not tighten as much? i didnt rip the threads out so its ok. Should i tighten it up a little less then recomended by feel and maybe put a little bit of locktite to be sure?? I dont want this bolt to come out when im riding! Thanks

What brand of torque wrench, and when is the last time it was calibrated?

Torque wrenches are just like valves-they wear, and need to be corrected to be accurate. Inferior quality measurement tools need more frequent calibration.

Either get your torque wrench calibrated, or get a good quality new one (Not Harbor Freight, either)

You should use loktite on any bolt on a dirt bike.

No.

I don't use Loctite at all on any of my bikes, and I've never had a bolt that was torqued to the proper specs fall out.

HMM shitty i already assembled it this morning but with a generous amount of blue locktite, and i managed to torque it to about 7Nm while its supposed to be 12Nm. Should i quickly take it apart and put some red locktite or will it be ok? It felt pretty decently tight but i didnt want to overdo it. I believe i got it to around 6-8Nm... Would it be a good idea to take it apart and put red loctite on that screw??

Red loctite for pressure plate bolts? A little overkill, IMO. I only use red loctite on my cylinder, engine mount, and swingarm/fork/wheel fastners. Not on internal engine fastners.

Did the bolts have oil on them? Being clutch bolts, I assume they did. The torque spec is for a DRY bole. The oil lowers the friction and screws everything up.

Unless you get a really high dollar torque wrench for the small specs and enjoy math, avoid the torque wrench on small stuff. There was a calculation available on dry vs wet torque , but its probably not worth searching for.