Sign in to follow this  

Dirt in top of carb

All,

was riding in area with a ton of red dirt. Took my carb apart after riding to install JD Jet kit and noticed that there was a ton of red dirt inside the top of my carb. I cleaned out thoroughly and noticed that some dirt had gotten down into the slide area. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

thanks,

B

How dose dirt get into the top of the carb, that sucks i might have to look at mine.

How dose dirt get into the top of the carb?

Through the carb vent lines.

Go to kevinscycleracing dot com, click on Carburetor/Intake on the left, then check out the Extreme Weather Carburetor Vent Kits. They're kind of a pain to install because access to the carb isn't great on the X, but at $20 you can't go wrong. While your at it, scroll down the page to the Visu-Filter and buy a little more insurance for $2.95.

Through the carb vent lines.

Go to kevinscycleracing dot com, click on Carburetor/Intake on the left, then check out the Extreme Weather Carburetor Vent Kits. They're kind of a pain to install because access to the carb isn't great on the X, but at $20 you can't go wrong. While your at it, scroll down the page to the Visu-Filter and buy a little more insurance for $2.95.

Good call on that one.

I was under the impression that blowback could cause a small amount of black looking fuel residue in the top of the carb,but red dirt is not good.

Does the breather tube from the engine go into the carb inlet under the seat on the U.S. models? if it does this could be unseated and sucking grot,one of my old bosses at a Honda shop i worked at had this come out on his CRF250R and had to rebuild it.

All,

was riding in area with a ton of red dirt. Took my carb apart after riding to install JD Jet kit and noticed that there was a ton of red dirt inside the top of my carb. I cleaned out thoroughly and noticed that some dirt had gotten down into the slide area. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

thanks,

B

Applied racing:

05-07 CRF450X VENT KIT

[5399] $21.94

With this trick billet aluminum filter system you can re-route the crankcase vent house on your CRF to eliminate oil mist and crankcase contaminants from entering directly into your carburetor.

http://appliedrace.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1447

Applied racing:

05-07 CRF450X VENT KIT

[5399] $21.94

With this trick billet aluminum filter system you can re-route the crankcase vent house on your CRF to eliminate oil mist and crankcase contaminants from entering directly into your carburetor.

http://appliedrace.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1447

Also, there have been reports that the Accelerator pump lever cover leaks on the R forum: It has to be sealed with silcone at the cover junctions....

Orange, that T6 filter looks like a good product. Could be my first piece of functional bling.:thumbsup: