Sign in to follow this  

trouble with spark plug

I have an 03 RM250, and am having a lot of trouble with my spark plug. I keep having to replace it just about every ride. I have some nice NGK spark plugs, that are better then stock. I am running my fuel at 40:1. When i start my bike i turn on the choke and give it a little gas and start my bike, then i rev it a little and turn off the choke. Then i try and rev it a little more, and my bike just dies, and then i need to replace the spark plug!!:applause:. im really not sure what it is ...could someone please help:crazy:

Make sure you are using good clean gas the highest octane you can get and try 32-1. If you bought the bike used they may have used race gas,and if so you might have to use that do to jetting. I had an rm 250 that did the same thing,I traded it in on a crf and quit mixing. You my friend have a bike that could have all kind of issues. How is the airfilter? Also make sure the gas cap is in good shape.ie clear vent holes. I would suggest rebuilding the carb and replacing all the fuel lines.

Goodluck. My rm was the biggest let down bike I ever had.:applause:

This a new problem on a bike you've had a while or did you just get it? Maybe you have a bunch of oil sitting in the bottom of the crankcase, maybe from a bad seal or the carb overflowing.

try 32-1:cry:

All this is going to do is make the mix richer which is goint to make the problem worse

more than likely needs to be jetted...make sure you have a good clean airfilter/good gas, and good reeds

no throttle with choke on!!! start with choke and let it sit with no throttle and choke on for 5 or so seconds and rev a little more each twist

smokers are sensitive to jetting so its a very good idea

are you fouling plugs or it just bogs and dies? thats just from being cold and needs to have choke on a lil longer

fouling plugs is dif and that when you need a new one

it was my cousins bike, and he took really good care of it, but the bike sat in his garage for like 4 months, and he said that it was probably that the oil was on the bottom on the tank, he said that it should be fine now...i sure hope so, and thank you everyone for helping me out. And i had an RM250 before, and had no problems with it, and my cousin hasnt had any problems with the one that i bought from him, i hope it will be fine now