Sign in to follow this  

green river, ohv's on city streets

trying to figure out what the official story is on this. can someone clue me in? can i ride my dirtbike (registered in idaho which is a reciprocal state according to everything i can find about utah law) from crystal geyser into town to get gas and then back out?

searching the web i found maps for emery county roads and stuff, but nothing for green river specifically.

If you have an actual Idaho license plate on your bike, not just a forest sticker or OHV sticker type thing you are good to go. I assume that basic liability insurance is compulsory in all states and that you have it. Your haul vehicle has Idaho plates, right? Just imagine the chaos if states didn't recognize plates from other states. Any state could probably challenge your dual sport equipment though, if it's not convincingly done and/or they want to hassle you.

If you have an actual Idaho license plate on your bike, not just a forest sticker or OHV sticker type thing you are good to go.

no license plate. many places in utah have designated some or all city streets as legal for unlicensed vehicles, like golfcarts and atv's/dirtbikes with off-highway registration. green river is allegedly one of these. i'm just trying to find out the details.

the constitution requires that states recognize licensed vehicles from other states.

Sorry. When you said "registered" I thought you meant plated. I'd love to see the list of places that allow operation of unlicensed vehicles on the streets. Do you have a link? I dualsported my bike in a fairly convincing manner that had no effect on the dirt performance and it has been a big load off my mind when connecting trails. They actually stake out some connectors in Colorado and I got sick of it. The Green River guys in here ought to know, now that it is clear that you don't have a plate.

I'd love to see the list of places that allow operation of unlicensed vehicles on the streets.

most of the towns along the paiute atv trail (southeastern utah) have specific street designated, so you can get gas, go to a hotel, etc... while riding the trail too.

Richfield, Utah lets you ride on the street in ATVs or dirt bikes to get to the Paiute Trail or from the trail to the gas stations and restaurants.

We rode into Filmore Utah also. You just stay to the right, they have a bike lane type set up with ATVs painted in them to let you know it's the OHV lane. Speed on ATVs or dirt bikes is 15mph, if I recall.

A few years ago I found out that tags and insurance are cheap enough to make licensing my dirt ride a good bet. Most western states are pretty easy going about street "legal" dirtbikes; with California being the ugly sister among us. I've also found that as long as you're riding conservatively in town; the cops don't even look at you twice.

My guess is that it is not legal to ride on the paved streets in Green River. But I also suspect locals do occasionally - such as farmers going to/from their fields. If there is much traffic, you could ride along the edge of the road in the dirt.

There is a gas station on the outskirts of town, which is only a few miles from the freeway exit where you access Crystal Geyser.

So my guess is that the risk of getting ticketed is pretty low. Especially if you are behaving yourself. But if you do get pulled over, don't tell them I said it was okay :applause:

Theres a city ordinance in affect in Green River that allows OHV use on "City" streets (which does not include main street because it a state hwy) however they don't mind if you ride on main street and won't give you any problems unless you're doing 70+mph wheel stands up and down main (ask Wes about that one :applause:) That being said..there is single track (Dubinky link) that goes from the Guys trail and Guyser road jct. all the way to the gas pumps in GR..comes right out at the super8.

that being said..there is single track (Dubinky link) that goes from the Guys trail and Guyser road jct. all the way to the gas pumps in GR..comes right out at the super8.

does it cross under the freeway east of the underpass there? i was planning on taking the little singletrack that goes around that bigass oil well that blocks the road rather than going around on the dirt road to the east, but i'm flexible.

Maybe go your way into town but find the single track at the back of the Super 8 parking lot for the ride out.

does it cross under the freeway east of the underpass there?.

It goes under the freeway about 100 yards west of the 164 exit (the east Green River exit) through a tunnel then single track all the way to the Super 8 and Short stop/burger king.

That's right. I'm proud to be a member of the coolest motorcycle club in Green River.

Velo,

We did a two day, 160 mile, loop from Moab to Grenn River (and back) with a stay over at GR. When we got to town we (5 of us) very slowly and respectfully putted all the way into town, had dinner at Ray's, then rode back out to our hotel.

Our guide (Dale @ Elite Tours) said that it's "not allowed" but, if done with respect, the cops look the other way. Of course, there's always one jackass doing a wheelie to screw it up for the rest of us.

When are you going? I'm going April 26.

Mike

We did a two day, 160 mile, loop from Moab to Grenn River (and back) with a stay over at GR. When we got to town we (5 of us) very slowly and respectfully putted all the way into town, had dinner at Ray's, then rode back out to our hotel.

Our guide (Dale @ Elite Tours) said that it's "not allowed" but, if done with respect, the cops look the other way. Of course, there's always one jackass doing a wheelie to screw it up for the rest of us.

dale puts together some sweet rides. we're leaving thursday afternoon. taking an easy 60-70 mile ride on friday, then the green-river and back excursion on saturday. sounds like the singletrack underpass is the easiest legalest safest way to go. thanks to bigboreracing for the 411.

i'll also be back there in april sometime, around the 14-15 i think.

dale puts together some sweet rides. we're leaving thursday afternoon. taking an easy 60-70 mile ride on friday, then the green-river and back excursion on saturday. sounds like the singletrack underpass is the easiest legalest safest way to go. thanks to bigboreracing for the 411.

i'll also be back there in april sometime, around the 14-15 i think.

Twice in 2 months!!! Awesome...have fun!:applause:

Velo,

Mike

LENNY!!!!!!!:applause::lol: :lol: :eek::naughty: