DIY enclosed trailer alarm ideas

I have searched the posts but have not found what I am looking for so maybe one of you have some more ideas for me.

I want to put an alarm system in my trailer for an economical price that would have a siren/horn, motion sensor,remote,blinking light(for exterior) and 2 door switches(RV door and rear ramp door). Has anyone taken a car alarm and modified it to work with these conditions?

Thanks for your help

As I was reading your post, I was thinking of the car alarm idea. To me, sounds fairly simple.

yea Thought about it also. As long as you have a 12 v source it would be pretty easy. Most kits come with a little LED light and a remote and some sort of door switch's. Go talk to a car place about what you want to do and what you need and they should know almost exactly what you need.

and keep usposted on what you do/ have to do...

I used a cheepie car alarm w/wireless remote. It worked fairly well.

One key is to locate the siren and battery somewhere a thief can't get to it quick.

I have searched the posts but have not found what I am looking for so maybe one of you have some more ideas for me.

I want to put an alarm system in my trailer for an economical price that would have a siren/horn, motion sensor,remote,blinking light(for exterior) and 2 door switches(RV door and rear ramp door). Has anyone taken a car alarm and modified it to work with these conditions?

Thanks for your help

We are a Lo Jack dealer and thats what I'm putting in mine. It wont warn me of an intruder, but I will get it back it the whol;e trailer comes up missing. I think a home alarm would be a better deal than a car alarm. They usually run off of 12V anyway, just get it from a power supply. But a home wont have a motion sensor. You wont need that, they will have to open a door to sound it.

We are a Lo Jack dealer and thats what I'm putting in mine. It wont warn me of an intruder, but I will get it back it the whol;e trailer comes up missing. I think a home alarm would be a better deal than a car alarm. They usually run off of 12V anyway, just get it from a power supply. But a home wont have a motion sensor. You wont need that, they will have to open a door to sound it.

A motion sensor would go off if they try to hook it up and drive away.

I saw an inexpensive (cheap) way to put an alarm on a motorcycle in a magazine once....it used a mercury switch, a small siren, and it was powered by the motorcycle battery (or was it a 9v?). It was connected in a way that when you raised the bike from the kickstand the siren would sound.

But then if you put it back on the stand it would stop.

You could go to an electronics store (Radio Shack) and pick up a mercury switch. Then position the mercury switch in a way that it would make contact when the front of the trailer is raised. I'm not sure what power sources could be used with that switch; but a motorcycle battery would be ideal. Then you could use a siren from a car alarm.

Hope this helps...:applause:

We also sell Lo Jack at my dealership.Why not go with LoJack and early warning.Then it will page you,or e-mail or call your cell phone if vehicle is moved without your authorization.