Sign in to follow this  

DRZ/LTZ motor similarities??

I'v been doing some research, but I can't really find the answer I'm looking for. I've got an 03' LTZ400 quad, and i'm trying to find out how similar this power plant is to the 07' DRZ400sm.

I'm about to buy a new SM, but i hav'nt had a chance to ride one yet, will the SM make the kind of power my LTZ makes? The LTZ has a full Yosh system a filter with the airbox top removed and is re-jetted. It will hang with stock or near stock 450's. What can I expect from the stock SM and how will a pipe, jet kit and filter change it?

Thanks for the help!

Ted

i believe the motors are identical other than the ltz having a heavier flywheel.don't expect to much from a stock sm but if you do the pipe and change the carb to the fcrmx carb and do the 3x3 it would be night and day difference from stock

I agree with mickeydee, you quad has better aspiration that the SM. I looked on Suzuki's website however, and the 2005 LTZ400 has the Mikuni carb on it. (1mm bigger) I don't know about an 03 though. The 75lbs weight differance going to the DRZ will probably make it a bit quicker than the quad, especially if you pipe and jet it. Good Luck!

The LTZ motor is the same from the cylinder up, except for the valve springs. The clutch is the same, the flywheel is the same, the trans is differand thus making the bottom end a bit differant. They aren/t the same motot. The trans on the LTZ is geared a bit differant than the DRZ, it is lower and has a reverse (on most).

The power will be the same but not the same delivery as the SM. The LTZ has a 3 ply base gasket and the same carb and cams as the S/SM and '07 E's. Same compression. THe only thing differant, as I said, is the bottom end. Mainly the trans but also in design.

The SM won't make the same ammount of power as the stock 450's. You can get the SM to make better power with just a few mods. Get a 440 kit, RHC cams, FCR 39 and a Yoshi Ti pipe and you'll probably smoke the 450's. Throw in a stroker and you'll make them cry. Mods = money though. But in my opinion, it's worth it in the long run.

My .02

• Like 1

the cases,trans and clutch cover are different.other wise they are same.

they do not bolt in to each others frame.

Thanks for the info, i'm about to let the ltz go pick up a new SM, but I was really curious about the performance similarities.

I drag raced a all stock z400 on my 05 S, and beat it pretty well, with stock gearing and both skilled riders, but the only reason is because the bike is a lot lighter than the quad.

I know the oil filter is different for sure.they gave me the wrong oil filer for my bike and it turns out it was for a ltz ( the filter was the same diamiter but longer) and a couple of posts back somone mentioned that the carb and cams are the same for the s/sm and the 07 E? is whats up ?

I know the oil filter is different for sure.they gave me the wrong oil filer for my bike and it turns out it was for a ltz ( the filter was the same diamiter but longer)

I've been using the K/N 139 filter on my DRZ and Z400 for years now without any issues:excuseme:

thats the same filter ive been running for a whole month and a half now (bike is pretty new) but the first filer i purchased was from the dealer and they gave me a filter that was very simmilar but obviously worng. when i returned it they said it was for an ltz 400 now i buy all my parts from a local performance shop

We'll either way i definately do not want to bring my bike to that shop for any warranty work of any sort. nor do i purchase any parts from there anymore. the only bad thing is the only other suzuki dealer is 1.5 hours away...(when i picked up my bike after purchasing it i realized that they put my side number plates on incorrectly along with an aray of other things )