Sign in to follow this  

World Enduro Championship / Handguards?

Looking at videos and pictures of WEC events, I notice that almost no rider has the metal wrap-around handguards like most everyone has around here. They all have the plastic flag-type hand shields, and that's it. Look it up. Even at the North American rounds, it seems only some local riders had the metal ones.

Why is that? Do the WEC riders know something we don't?

I suspect the full wraparound metal ones may be more dangerous if your arm gets somehow trapped in there during a tumble?

No, it's not because the full wraparound are more dangerous, it's because they terrain and style of racing is different. They don't run through tight tree farms where you are squeezing a bike through tress that are closer than your bars are narrow and they are not racing head-to-head like in a GNCC where you could get bumped into a tree. If they were more dangerous, I'm sure Juha would not have used them for his 2 years here running GNCCs, but he did, Enduro Engineering guards to be exact.

Enduro Engineering is what I run also on my three bikes. But now I think I may go to a flag type guards and rotating levers. That will be an incentive to stop hitting trees and falling less often!

Knight wasn't running metal handguards at the first GNCC round.

0000001043.jpeg