Sign in to follow this  

Which oil to buy?

I just got an 05 rmz250 with very low hours and I'm trying to decide which oil to use. The previous owner used Klotz synthetic, but the manual calls for 10w-40 non-synthetic. I'm sure there are brand preferences by everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a failure using any specific type, and I'd like to hear success stories with specific brands and types. I will note that I change the oil about every 2 rides and clean the air filter after each ride, so whatever I put in there will not get very dirty or old.

Also, any issues going to regular oil if it was broken in and run on synthetic oil. I would estimate that the motor has about 30-40 hours on it.

Thanks,

JCW

I use Mobil-1 5W-30 full synthetic (the kind that is good for 7500 miles). You can buy 5 quarts in one big jug at Wal-Mart, and just measure out the right amount. You should be sure to change it often, and clean/replace the filter (depends on if it is re-usable).

I asked Eric Gorr through e-mail about oil, this is what he said Quote: DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL, THE RM Z250 has a shared cavity!

I always use a semi synth.

Eric Gorr's website also says that the AMA rule pased that 125 2Ts would be racing by themselves, and that you should big bore your 250 4T, because you will be racing with 250 2Ts.

I have known of lots of folks who use full synthetic, with no clutch issues or slippages.

Whatever oil you run, just be sure to change it OFTEN. Like everytime you ride...

What he said:thumbsup:

Been using Castrol 10-40 GTX for years, never a oil issue!

hey do you uses this in your 450 too?? and where do you get it from a shop or something like a pepboys??

you can pickup Castrol GTX at just about any place that sells oil. walmart normally has it on for a good price.

I have an 06 rmz 250 with a shared motor/trans. oil and my owners manual suggests running full synthetic 10w-40. my dealer told me you should just make sure it says JASO MA on the oil you put in. that means its safe for motor and clutch-trans. combination.