2007 CRF405R or 2007 KTM 250 SX?

I currentlly ride a 2002 CRF450R and am ready to upgrade. I've never riden a two stroke before, but I heard that this KTM is awesome, lighter, same power just at higher RPM, less maintenance. I ride MX and just play around, nothing too serious, but I do want the bike with the most potential ie masively powerful, light as it can be, easy to ride, good handeling, reliable, relatively low maintenance, affordable and can do more than just MX. What do you guys think?

I To Ride A Crf 450 And I Bought A 07 Ktm 450sxf In Dec And I Is The Best Bike That I Have Ever Haid. It Feales Like Rideing A Blowen 250f It Rides 10 Pounds Lighter That It Is And The Power Is Very Good. If You Have Never Haid A Ktm Magura Clutch You Will Never Go Back And The Estarter Is Sent Right From Heaven

Honda won the shootout for '07 by being 2nd best in all categories- very good. Yamaha was the best bike for all-around rideability. KTM was the most tech advanced, but they want to see some kinks ironed out after its initial intro year. I went with YZ450F for a mix of Mx, Off Road and fun.

I To Ride A Crf 450 And I Bought A 07 Ktm 450sxf In Dec And I Is The Best Bike That I Have Ever Haid. It Feales Like Rideing A Blowen 250f It Rides 10 Pounds Lighter That It Is And The Power Is Very Good. If You Have Never Haid A Ktm Magura Clutch You Will Never Go Back And The Estarter Is Sent Right From Heaven

Why would you say that the KTM 450 feels like riding a blown 250F :applause:

I currentlly ride a 2002 CRF450R and am ready to upgrade. I've never riden a two stroke before, but I heard that this KTM is awesome, lighter, same power just at higher RPM, less maintenance. I ride MX and just play around, nothing too serious, but I do want the bike with the most potential ie masively powerful, light as it can be, easy to ride, good handeling, reliable, relatively low maintenance, affordable and can do more than just MX. What do you guys think?

Since no one else actually seemed to have read your actual question, I'll take a stab at it.

The CRF450 is one of the top selling dirtbikes for a reason. Loads of power, good handling, and the Honda name. Picture your current bike with a bit more power and better handling- there you have it.

The 250SX is not going to have as much power, but it's certainly not lacking either. It's going to be much lighter, much snappier, easier to throw around, and more of a "toy."

Although the CRF450 is generally considered a reliable bike, repair and maintenance costs are going to be higher than with the KTM. Neither bike excells at off-road playing around, that's the domain of the CRFX and XC models, although there's no shortage of guys riding the 250SX in the woods at the upper levels of competition.

If you've never owned a 2-stroke, give it a try. They are loads of fun. :applause:

okay we alll know honda wins the shootouts because it pays the magazines the most.

get a ktm. unless you wanna spend the money on maintanence and upgrades for the honda get the 250 smoker. they are SOO fast you will be amazed. ktm comes with really high quality parts. you will love it!

You don't know this for sure.

My 250sx is scary fast and I love it! With that said, I can put in more consistent fast laps on my friends 06 crf 450 because it tires me out less. There are just certain feelings that my 250sx gives me that a 4 stroke can't. I like the BRAAAAAAP when i come out of the corners!:applause: To sum it up: If you are serious about winning races, get the 450. If you want to have more fun on the bike, get the 250sx!

I was going to say the Honda at first. Then you mentioned low maintenance and lighter. The KTM is reportedly 15 lbs. lighter than the 450r, and as far as the maintenance goes you can't beat a KTM 2 stroke. One of my buddies has the 2007 250sx, I rode it and you can easily wheelie in 5th gear? . :applause: Keep in mind that you have to stay in the power band on a 2 stroke and therefore claimed a little more difficult to ride.

Just how much easier are two stroke to maintain? What kinda cost difference are we talking about here? Oh and what kinda things do you have to do to make it emissions legal to ride it in more places more often. I ride up here in Washington, does anyone know the regulations for this state? I'm also going into the service so if I do go with a two stroke what will restricions be like around the country?

• 1 month later...

Hey man,

I was going to buy the 250 SX 2 weeks ago. But KTM had a demo ride and I got to ride it along with the 450SXF and many other cool rides. Being a 04 CRF 450 owner I was looking for that 2 stroke excitment again. 07 SX250 was a blast and the best 2 stroke I've ever ridden. That said I'm breaking in the engine of my 450 SFX this weekend. Hats off to KTM for the demo experience Very COOL!

Just how much easier are two stroke to maintain? What kinda cost difference are we talking about here? Oh and what kinda things do you have to do to make it emissions legal to ride it in more places more often. I ride up here in Washington, does anyone know the regulations for this state? I'm also going into the service so if I do go with a two stroke what will restricions be like around the country?

They are much easier to maintain, and alot cheaper too. A 2 stroke top end rebuild is about $120 a 4 stroke is $800 +.

If you race AMA events the 250sx is not legal, They are too light. No I am serious, really.

The AMA wanted to remove any advantage to racing a 2 stroke in case someone was considering the 250sx because of it's light weight.

I guess the cc disadvantage wasn't a sufficient deterrent.