Sign in to follow this  

Drain Bolt Seized!!!

Well today i finnally had the time to change the oil in my 426.. and guess what its been so long the damn bolt is seized and wont come off. and now its stripped after using the craftsman easy bolt out... damn thing made it worse.. now im stuck. if anyone has any suggestions. please let me know... im gettin ready to jb weld a socket to the damn thing and see if that works... would penetrating lube do anything for it??? im out of ideas...

use a bolt extractor type that looks like slotted like a phillips head screwdriver, dont know where to get one, but i have seen em, or try spraying some aero kroil, or wd40, aero works better, but if you dont have it, use wd, hope it helps, and your jb weld idea sounds like it would work too

and people still give me crap for using anti-seize...

Heat up the case around the bolt with a torch. Don't heat up the bolt, just the case. Clamp on some vice grips and turn. Thats about your easiest option about now with the bolt being stripped.

Make sure you get the vice grips good a tight on there. So tight you can barely tighten them using both your hands.

Oil drain bolts don't seize. Next time use a 6pt sockets, and turn it the correct way. Lefty loosy, right tighty.

FOR NOW (If it has to be drained immeaditely): Leave it there and take off your clutch cover to drain the oil. Just lay the bike on its side so it all drains out.

FOR NOW (If it has to be drained immeaditely): Leave it there and take off your clutch cover to drain the oil. Just lay the bike on its side so it all drains out.

You can do that, but it would be wise to get the bolt out. I have stripped many bolts, and on rare occasions, you can get away with using a smaller socket.

My 01 YZ285 is also stuck. I even TIG welded a nut to the rounded piece of bolt and it just broke around the weld. I'm afraid I'll break the case also, so I'll just tip it over and drain it that way. Antiseize baby

Craigus

I've been using teflon tape on my drain plugs. I started doing this with a car that I was doing up tighter and tighter, but it still leaked. Then I used teflon tape. The first few times I destroyed the fibre washers when I was just approaching the specified torque (teflon is slippery), so now I don't do them up tight at all - no leaks and really easy to undo. Just make sure the tape doesn't go too far up the thread so that it doesn't end up floating around in the oil.

With the bolt extractors I have noticed that you really have to commit with the tool. I have had several that I destroyed and had to go to extreme measures to remove, but all were when I let off with the tool to early. When I have used the smallest one that would squeeze on there and left it on and spinning untill the head was all but gone, it generally grabs at the last possible second and comes loose.

How much is sticking out? Can you slot it with a dremel or flatten the sides to you can use a screwdriver/vise grips on it?

Use a file to grind a slot into the head of the bolt. you can then use a screwdriver to get it out. Also, hardware store sell this craftsman thing that is like a socket, except instead of flat walls inside it has 6 sharp spikes. You hammer this on then use a wrench to turn the whole setup. I just did this on a stripped bolt on my bike. The best part is that the bolt can be stripped to a perfect circle and doesn't matter, because this thing grips it on the outside.

I had to fight with my front sprocket bolt today and stripped it. Here's how I got it out. I went to autozone and bought a set of these.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CCXVZ/ref=nosim/?tag=nextag-tools-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B0000CCXVZ&linkCode=asn

My bolt was a 12mm, so I had to dremel down and clean it up a bit to get the 11mm size on there, hammer on the grip tool and start turning, sure enough with a torque wrench and one of these it came right out.

At worst, you will have to take a center punch and knock the center and drill out and use an extractor, I haven't had to resort to this, but my brother who fixes stuck screws/bolts for the air force all day tells me it works. :applause:

Thats pretty much the same thing as I used ^^^^. It came out really easy with that. Nothing better than that feeling of finally getting it out.:applause:

and people still give me crap for using anti-seize...

Now there you go, telling a secret that only us elect are to know! I've got two vintage bikes, one 34 years old, the other 48 years old, and never has a drain plug seized. Amazing what that silver gunk will do, isn't it?

Any bolt / plug / sparkplug that even comes close to aluminum threads gets a liberal coating of Never Seize in my shop. They don't call it Never Seize for the fun of it.

I agree with heating the case and vise grips, also tap on it with a hammer. :lol: Always use anti seize when putting your drain bolts back in. No need to over tighten these bolts either.:applause:

hey guys.. im still fighting with that damn drain bolt plug.. i have already tried the bolt extracter from craftsman.. it made the bolt worse.. tried the hammer and vise grips, and ive tried the grinding a slot in the bolt and using a screwdriver.. it just keeps breaking off. is there anything else minus going to the extent of drilling it out?

drill it smaller than it already is and use a bolt extractor. you'll have to buy a new nut, but thats already a given seeing as its rounded off anyways. heres what i use when the situations get real bad.

screw_extractor.jpg

its just reversed thread, and it works really really good, i have gotten some siezed up, limestoend pressure washer fitting off and a bunch of other things out with these types of bolt extractors. reall siimple, just drill a hole 1/4 inch or so down into the bolt head, and put the extractor in their on a drill. pops the stuff right out, might be a little hard to use in your situtaion but i guarantee it will get it out if you do it right.

also, they come in different sizes and will tell you what size bit to use for them to grab properly, and they only cost around 4 dollars.

this hapened to me about two weeks ago on my dads 426. what finally did it was the bolt removers that were posted a few posts up from autozone. I got mine from sears along with a 6 pt socket for next time. I sat the bike on its side and put a pipe artound the wrench for leverege. it also helped to hammer the bolt remover on to the nut. Once we did this it made a loud "pop" and came right off.