Sign in to follow this  

Is the K&N worth the $80?

I was thinking about getting one but i didnt know if it was actualy worth all that extra money. Does it last longer between cleanings? Im sure its a lot less messy going in and out of that tiny little space. Im not too woried if its going to give me any more power or not but i would think it wouldnt get as dirty as fast because the dirt wouldnt stick to it as much as a foam based oiled filter. Just curious if any of you guys use it and what benifates it has.

My opinion, and it's backed by a lot of experience with many different brands is that the good ol' stock one is the best i have found. It won't matter if your filter needs cleaning less if it lets dirt or small particles of sand through and you end up frying your piston and cylinder. Like I have said I have trid alot of other filters and it has always brought me back to the honda filter. Just clean it every time you change your oil (buy an extra and you only have to clean it every other time you change it, or if you have any airbox mods that let more particles in or you ride in very dry conditions, then change it a couple of times between oil). I am all about keeping my bike running longer rather than time used in maintenance. I have heard particularly bad things about the k and n with our bikes.

I was thinking about getting one but i didnt know if it was actualy worth all that extra money. Does it last longer between cleanings? Im sure its a lot less messy going in and out of that tiny little space. Im not too woried if its going to give me any more power or not but i would think it wouldnt get as dirty as fast because the dirt wouldnt stick to it as much as a foam based oiled filter. Just curious if any of you guys use it and what benifates it has.

Like other's here have said... hard to go wrong with the stock filter:thumbsup: With some shopping you could be 3 or 4 stock filters for $80! Or 8 Ready Filters. I use the Ready Filters, but I'm old and I had cleaning filters... :applause:

K&N Guaze filters are great for use on PWC's, and i can only think of one Japneese one that even uses and air filter :applause:

They are basically crap. The concept is just crummy for off road use. They are thin, real thin compared to the foam unit. So obviously its just common sense and basic physics that it will hold less dirt because surface area is somewhat larger not by a whole lot. Thus once they get dirty they restrict air flow, because the dirt does not have a whole lot of places to go. The compensate this by making a "less restrictive" filter however less restriction and less material = less filtration. No way around it. Your foam filter can be about 70% covered with dirt and you will probably not even notice a performance loss by the seat of your pants. Dirt can embed itself in the foam and air can work around it. There is nothing to go into on the K&N except about 1/8 of gauze if that.

Everyone has seen gauze at one point in their life i'm sure, we ride moto its been wrapped on our limbs. What happens when it gets wet? It deteriorates and disfigures. So basically when you clean this unit, you are washing away and compromising the filter with every cleaning.

And they are 2 piece and have big time sealing issues.

To answer your question, if you RACE a supermoto bike and can afford a few of them to keep on hand, and will be doing top ends regularly. Then this may be the filter for you otherwise go buy a handfull of UNI's.

As a motorcycle technician. I never recomend them to anyone.

Maybe Im crazy, but I change my filter every ride. I have heard the k&n filters let too much dirt pass. Lets not kid ourselves, are crf's valves, piston, and rings absolutely hate dirt.