Sign in to follow this  

Getting the 96 XR440 running

Hey guys-

Just bought this 96 xr400 with the 440 kit on it for 1500 bucks! :applause: Owner said it has been sitting for a 1.5 years. I took the IMS tank off, cleaned the petcock, took the big nut off the bottom of the Mikuni pumper carb and it stunk, had some good old varnish in the bottom. Anyways. Added fresh gas and i don't think it is getting any as when the fuel valve is on, the fuel drains slowly out of the carb drain under the bike. I'm thinking the carb needs to be taken apart- needle and seat prob have some junk stuck between them. What else should i look for and clean? Does anyone have any disassembly diagrams or instructions for these Mikuni Pumper carbs sold by xr's only?

thanks

eb

I haven't taken my pumper apart, but go for it, if you need to, take digital pics through each step to help with the re-assembly. Once you get the bottom bowl off, I think the jets should be easy access, clean it all out with some good spray carb cleaner. Does the bike have good spark?

Hey guys-

Just bought this 96 xr400 with the 440 kit on it for 1500 bucks! :applause: Owner said it has been sitting for a 1.5 years. I took the IMS tank off, cleaned the petcock, took the big nut off the bottom of the Mikuni pumper carb and it stunk, had some good old varnish in the bottom. Anyways. Added fresh gas and i don't think it is getting any as when the fuel valve is on, the fuel drains slowly out of the carb drain under the bike. I'm thinking the carb needs to be taken apart- needle and seat prob have some junk stuck between them. What else should i look for and clean? Does anyone have any disassembly diagrams or instructions for these Mikuni Pumper carbs sold by xr's only?

thanks

eb

It should be a simple matter to take off the bowl and pull the jets. Spray them out with some decent carb cleaner and blow them off with some compressed air. Remember the pump probably will have gas in it too, so pump it a few times to get the old gas out of it, and spray some cleaner in there too.

I have had gas flow through like that also after draining the bowl in a couple different bikes, I was told when the carb is empty the floats sometimes stick and this happens I just twisted throttle and played with on off valve untill it stopped. But if it has been sitting for that long it is worth giving it a scrub down.