Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 with mods compared to 125?

I was just wondering how one of the late model KDXs compare to the average 125 MX bike as far as power and powerband once they are modded with the usual upgrades, which would be the FMF or Pro Circuit pipe and silencer combo. I am looking for more than my CR 125 offers, but I know that the 250 MX 2-strokes can be mighty strong, so would the modded KDX split the difference or what? I know that it would not be A or B level MX ready, but would it be fast enough for all-around stuff and some track days?

the kdx will have more bottom end than the 125 but they will be in the same department in top-end. The 125 may even have more top-end. The bikes are set up completely different inside the motor. The kdx wont handle on the track like a 125 or 250 will. stick with the 125 and get as good as you can on it, it will make you a better rider in the long run when you move up to a different, bigger bike.

My KX125 is basically stock, save for an FMF Q silencer.

My KDX220 is well modded, porting, modified head, reeds, bored carb, rev pipe, etc.

Engine vs engine the KDX kills the 125, much faster bike, I'd guess an easy 4-5 hp up top and a far larger spread of power.

Getting that power to the ground is another thing. In rocky, nasty, 2nd gear trails the KDX takes the cake. Add some whoops or a jump and I like the KX chassis / handling so much better. It stays glued to the ground much better at speed.

If you are going to have track days and are used to an MX bike's handling/suspension I would go for a 250. A flywheel weight and/or a throttle cam (changes how much cable is pulled, so you can "mellow" responce out with it) can make a 250 much easier to handle.

When my KDX was stock it had much more power then my friends stock 2005 CR125R. On the track though, the KDX cant keep up at all due to the suspension.

yeah but cr125's are dirt slow. they are hands down the slowest 125 you can buy unless you have an 06 or 07. They out handle anything but in stock form they drag their knuckles on the ground. sorry KDX guys but a modded 125 will blow away a KDX in the mid to top and on the track.

I would just jump up to the 250. I went from a kx100 to a kx250. I find that the 250 is almost more controllable do to the bottom end having more power. The 250 is controllable, you just have to learn throttle control. Oh and when you do get on it, hang on:eek: .

My friend has a '04 RM125 and I have an '06 KDX200. We would do some drag racing just for fun to see whoes is faster. His RM is stock. My KDX has an FMF desert pipe, PCII silencer, and an RB modded carb. I didnt have the modded carb when I raced him, and I easily crushed him. I have not been on the track with him, so I don't know about suspension and all, but listen to these guys. The KDX is not an mx bike, and will get raped on the track by the RM or KX or whichever it is.

yeah but cr125's are dirt slow. they are hands down the slowest 125 you can buy unless you have an 06 or 07. They out handle anything but in stock form they drag their knuckles on the ground. sorry KDX guys but a modded 125 will blow away a KDX in the mid to top and on the track.

The 2005 CR is identical to the 06 and the 07. The only difference is BNG.

For years the magazines blasted the KX125 as being slow. Slower than the others by a noticable margian actually. Maybe once modded things may indeed change but the KX125 historically has been the knuckle dragger it seems.

Unless you are doing nothing but racing the KDX with mods is easier funner to ride. If you ride trails and just have fun romping I do not think there is any question which is more fun. Once the terrain gets all moguly then the KX suspension pays off the KDX starts to show it's age so it is a scale not an absolute.

The problem with the KDX is the ergonomics and suspension. A KX125 with a modded KDX motor is in my opinion the silver bullet. Look at the WR and CRX250X. They are basicly MX bikes with motors better suited for general riding. Kawasaki does not make one like that. So I am making it.

KX125 far better MX bike.

KDX200 far better Trail bike.

Apples and Oranges folks.

Comparing the two will yeild as many opinions as there are prople and they are all right. Pick the bike for the type of riding. If Sex appeal and looking cool around others is what is sought, then get a KX250.

I always though that the mags said the cr125 was the slowest. Maybe that was just dirt bike mag and motocross action mag. kdx200s are great trail bikes and fun to ride. They may not be competitive in all types of riding and racing though.

The 125 made jumps in power in 2000 and bigger jumps in 2003. In the 90's the KX125 was the slowest out of the box. Mods may have changed that though I am talking stock here.

In any event they are all good these days.

I have a kdx 220 with a kx USD front end. Rode it for the first time at clear creek, ca yesterday. It kicked butt for a small bore. I was riding with expert level cross-country folk (one an IDSE rider) and it made every hill but one... rev pipe and reeds are the only mods.

The suspension was all I could ask for (I have ridden virtually every kind of bike available) and the rear suspension, once dialed in, was excellent in whoops and everything else. The only drawback is the short wheelbase for open higher speed stuff. Nobody could believe one hill that thing made it up - I was riding it and I still am amazed! No 125 could come close to the torque the 200 and especially the 220's put out.

What blows my mind is the basic design of the 1995 kdx200/220 is still right in the hunt - all you really need is good forks. My last bike was a pumped up CRF250X and the moded KDX is still superior (and lighter) in really tight demanding terrain.

The Kdx200 Could Probly Be The Same With A 125 If U Put Some Kx250 Front Forks On It It Would Be Close If There Both Stock

I should avoid this but can't, there is no way a 125 is going to outpower a kdx 200 or 220, You couldn't give me a 125 unless I was putting a kdx motor in it, as for this statement you cant just pick one up anywhere, I have put kx forks on the stock kdx chassis, and it works really well, but the rear end lacks what the front end makes up for, for trail riding or even woods racing I prefer the kdx hands down, I own a kx250f as well as a 450f and I still prefer my hybrid, I prefer to ride motocross, and this motor is perfect for me, If I wanted to hold a motor wide open and fan the clutch, I would have left the frame with a 125 engine in it, if you are wanting to get into motocross with an easy to ride bike get a 4 stroke, you will improve much quicker, if your wanting to ride the woods get a kdx, as for 125's where you guys came up with a 125 pulling away from a kdx straight out, escapes me, these things will run in the 70's stock,and theres a long list of mods for them, they are tamed way down out of the box, I know mine runs with the 450's in our local vet classes, just have to tap dance the shifter a bit more