Sign in to follow this  

Need short commute/fun bike

Hey guys I have a few questions about the KTM smokers (never owned a KTM, smoker, or street legal bike... so I have alot of questions). I race MX on a YZ450f, so I should be able to adapt to the power (even if I went with a 300).

I need something that I can pick up a spare set of wheels and cheap street tires for, and ride to class just 5-6 miles round a few days of the week. Bikes are VERY convienient on the campus, as you can find parking in front of just about every building (they even dont care if you ride the sidewalks to get to other buildings if your very careful).

1. Do certain models come "street legal" from the factory, if they dont, how difficult is it to convert one.

2. What does it need in most states to be considered street legal (its would be used in texas, and I know I have seen a few KTM's parked around here)

3. What size (CC's) would you recommend? I want something that will require as little maintinance as possible, but it needs to have a good ammount of power/fun factor.

4. The reason for the need for power/fun factor is that my dad may ride this bike when I come home for the weekends. The 450f was his bike untill I started riding it (we have a 250f, but he doesnt enjoy it as much), so I could throw the bike in my truck when I come home to ride and he could use it. I would like something that a big guy would have fun on some light trails/mx. He doesnt ride very fast at all, but likes to have power to open it up in the straight aways (I guess thats where he gets his fun).

5. If you have a street legal bike like this, how do you keep it secure when its sitting in public?

I'm basically looking for something really reliable and fairly cheap to own/maintain. I wouldnt be hard at all on the bike durring my daily hops on and off campus. What do you guys think? Also, I know that you dont need a motorcycle licence if your bike has less that 250cc's, does this apply to two-strokes as well?

Edit: also, how much should I expect to pay for a bike like I described. I dont need one that is hopped up or anything, it just has to get me there and back.

Just a heads up. A dual sport bike has either a rubber cushion in the rear hub or in the tranny to prevent hard pavement road shock from travelling up and trashing the tranny which a dirtbike does not.

Also you will need to get the tires/wheel balanced to counteract the rim locks, otherwise it will feel like your riding a paint shaker.

The new '07' EXC-Gs are street legal in all 50 states. There is a 450, 525, and a 950.

There is no perfect "do all" bike. You're going to have to give up something. It sounds like an '07 KTM may be a little out of your price range. A DRZ 400 might be something to look at. It can be plated pretty easily and can be ridden in pretty much all off road conditions as well. Low maintainence and should have plenty of power for you. It's not a plush off road machine, nor is it a lethal woods weapon, but in this case, it could be the choice for someone who is looking for the best of both worlds. My buddy has ridden one for years and loves it. I think his only complaint is that it's a bit heavy in some of the more technical off road stuff. He rides some off road and occasionally a dual sport ride. Check out the DRZ400 forum on here. I'm sure those guys can tell you a lot more that I can. Good luck?

Thanks for the replys guys. I have talked to my dad about the DRZ and he didnt sound thrilled. He might like a XR650, so I might look around for one of those as well. If I bought a KTM it would be used, as I have seen several decent 2000-2002 EXC's in the $2,000 range. I have also found some mid 90's EXC's in the $1000 range, worth looking at?

As for balancing the wheels, could I just install another rim lock exactly oposite of the exsisting one? A little shakyness if perfectly fine, as I wont be on the bike more than 5-10 mins on the street.

I wanted to stay away from the "high performance" four-strokes, as I dont want another set of valves to check and oil to change all the time (I already do this on two thumpers). The XR might be the best option, but I would love to have a KTM smoker.