Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR200R repower?

Hey Everyone

I have just bought a 1985 XR200R of ebay in Australia for a song $500AUD but since i have been on this site i have become a little disheartened by what i have found out regarding the RFVC XR200 engine, from what i can gather the engine is running and the bike just needs a tidy up for rego but if it requires alot of work to the engine can i replace it with a later XR200R engine (86-) easily? I have heard that the 80-83 engines have trouble fitting into the newer 84-85 frames but is this true? i thought the old 2 valve and the new 2 valve engines are basicly the same?

Any insight to this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Weegee :applause:

Welcome to the forum.The 85 and 86 engines should be the same but the earlier 2 valves are completely different.Once Honda gets a model going they don't change the outside much,so a swap between those two years will be like for like.

It requires alot of work to put in 2 valve motor in a 85. 84 and 85 RFVC will fit it. No two valve. Put in a XR250 in it. See my post a couple days ago. 2 valve requires re-welding all motor mounts,PITA!. Its a lot of work. XR250 bolts right in. Lots more power!, Run synthetic in the RFVC200 and it will hold up fine though. Take out muffler and see how it starts. If it requires a lot of choke to start go up on mains. Bikes run lean then get hot.

Get an '84-'85 XR250 motor if you are going to. It is basically the '84-'85 motor with a larger bore... Personally, I think you should just work with your existing motor. If it's running and just needs a little refurbishing, it will probably be less of a headache that swapping it with a 250.

Hey Lanz thanks about the XR250 does it matter what year of XR250? or does any 80's XR250 engine fit? i will look for your post now.

I agrre, I would run the bike first, the thing is fast! I needed more bottom power fro where we ride. We ride 2nd-3rd gear very rough terrrain and it would not pull enough. If you want to re-power go with 86-94 because its single carb. 84-85 had dual carbs and were always problems.

86 on is longer stroke engine, more bottom end too. If you are rebuilding a 86 on buy or find a 1985 piston and bore it out two mm. Makes a very noticeable difference in power.

I thought 86 was the first year for the Radial Four Valve Core (RFVC)? What really wakes them up is a bigger carb. I went with a mikuni 32mm flat slide carb, muzzy pipe and a mild cam. Stock bore, just fresh rings. XR'S Only