Sign in to follow this  

Best Oil

I know there have probably been several oil threads but I am buying an '07 KX250F tonight and just want to know what most people use for the tranny and engine oil.

I have only had Hondas until now...just want to make sure I'm using the right shiat

Would appreciate any help

Way to old of a subject.You know as well as I do you can read for hours on this.Use the same oil youv'e been using in your Hondas.One thing I can tell you,Is you don't have a tranny side on this bike so you'll be running one oil.

As for me ,Rotella synthetic in everything.

In a new bike I change the oil after the first ride. I went with the Castrol R4 superbike oil like the manual said with the first two changes and then went to AMSOIL (lower cost) with no problems. The most important thing is to change the oil often. If I ride hard for the weekend, I change it and clean the air filter. Its your engines life blood.

Im not falling in to this trap of another oil thread!!!!!!!!!You almost got me there

I am planning in using the same Honda HP4 oil that I used in my CRF.

Does anybody know if the oil should or should not have moly?

Maxima Maxum4 Extra. The best oil money can buy. Pricey, but hey, spend a few extra dollars on oil or a few extra hundred dollars on motor repairs. You make the choice.

MXM4EXG.jpg

This quote is SO FAR from the truth....

Time between intervals is what will make or break a machine..

I buy case quanity of Quaker State (Non-Low E) in gallon jugs or quarts.. It's super cheap this way, I change it every woods ride ( 4 hours or so ) then I do the filter every other... A GOOD stainless and cleanable filter is a good option in this case.. I get a crazy deal on OEM filters so I use them..

For wet clutch bikes, use NO moly additives...

I dont want to start an argument either. But ( if I could find the website again I would post it) THERE WAS AN INTENSIVE STUDY DONE BY A COLLEGE, I BELIEVE IT WAS CALTEC or CALSCIENCE ? That did a study on motorcycle oils. The number one reccomended oil for quality and reliability was also oddly enough one of the cheaper options available. Ive used the stuff for years on several different bikes includin a yz 125 yz 250 suzuki katana 600 yamaha r6 and now myHUSKY it is the Rotella T synthetic oil in the blue bottle available at Most any WalMart for under 17 bucks a gallon. I do do very frequent oil changes ( once a week or every 500 miles) And have never had any issues with my choice. To each his own but ROTELLA T offers all the advantages of the oils that are 3-4 times more expensive and My dealer even told me he uses it on all his vehicles as well and would reccomend it as a very good choice. Even though he doesnt sell it inhis store he does use it on his stuff. the report also had other "reccomended" oils that included devol and mobil 1 extended life 15/50

Maxima Maxum4 Extra. The best oil money can buy. Pricey, but hey, spend a few extra dollars on oil or a few extra hundred dollars on motor repairs. You make the choice.

MXM4EXG.jpg

Thank you...this is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the help

See,this thread is gonna turn into another debate just like all the other oil threads.Use any good oil (least expensive) and change often.End of story.If your dumping out 12.00 a quart oil every ride or every other ride you are wasting money.Just my 2 cents.

I use Rotella Synthetic,and change often.Benifits:cost effective,good oil.don't have to go to a shop to get it.it's synthentic for 16.00 gallon.

I could see where the best scientifcally proven oil is good for super bikes or street bikes where the oil isn't changed as often as we do and a lot more miles in between changes with a cleaner atmosphere.But we ride at dirty locations higher RPMs and wet sump gear boxes where you need to change your oil more often,long before you get the full benifit out of an expensive oil.

flame on!

Thank you...this is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate the help

I guess YZBob just needed someone to make him feel better about super expensive oil...

But, the seventeen year old kids are smarter than me, even though I deal with lubricants that are far beyond petroleum based lubes...

This is a small portion of what I deal with..

http://store.skymartsales.com/