Sign in to follow this  

450X Hard Starting Culprit

OK....Not the best macro photography but something I thought I would try and share. It took several hours to figure this out having gone through almost the entire top end. The problem is the plug on the left. Rich burn but good plug is on the right. Good burn but bad plug is the one on the left.:applause:

[ATTACH]2695[/ATTACH]

Update: It appears the new plug did not completely solve the hard starting problem. My mechanic looked at it this morning and there are some "problems". I got my ass chewed pretty good. Lucky I didn't grenade the engine he tells me. Right intake and exhaust valves are "cooked", piston almost has a whole blown through it. It is being rebuilt. OEM cam goes back in, SS intakes and exhausts, 12.5:1 piston. The engine ONLY has 168 hours on it (not counting almost one full season of racing). Air filter and oil changes have been done meticulously. No disappointments whatsoever.

OK....Not the best macro photography but something I thought I would try and share. It took several hours to figure this out having gone through almost the entire top end. The problem is the plug on the left. Rich burn but good plug is on the right. Good burn but bad plug is the one on the left.:applause:

[ATTACH]2695[/ATTACH]

FWIW, valves are perfect. I went through two good batteries trying to start the biatch before I figured it was time to take it apart. The bad plug has a perfect burn but the Iridium electrode is chipped and shortened. You would think we could get more than 100 hours out of one of these:eek:

I hear you: sometimes they even test ok, with spark, but work poorly.

I had the same thing happen, got hard to start (just the first time of the day)...put in a new plug and the problem went away,

At first glance, the "bad" plug looks pretty good. Perfect burn on it. That plug lasted a very long time so I shouldn't complain:thumbsup: