Sign in to follow this  

Cr125 vs. Crf250

Hey guys, anyways i was wondering what would be a better bike for me. A cr125 or a crf250 ? I am 5' 6" tall, weigh about 145lbs, and am 14 years old. I just want this bike to screw around on. I will occasionally go to the track and will most of the time be racing a Crf230 just for fun.

Thanks, :applause:

Get the 125. You will refine your riding skills and you will pay A LOT less money. Cheap and easy to maintain.

if you're buying a modern 125 to race get a Yamaha. if you just like Hondas or are play riding then go red. for competition the Honda is at a disadvantage stock for stock.

so i take it that the cr125 is the best bike out of the crf250 and the cr125 to mess around on ?

should i just get the crf250 because wont it be hard to find parts for the cr125 in like 5 years ?

p.s. right now i have a 1979 xr80. i just got a ticket from a cop for SPEEDING ya you read it right for SPEEDING !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

Hey is this true about new cr125s or is it just the old cr125s that this refers to ? http://www.reviewcentre.com/review158570.html

I like RED so im staying with it. But i cant diside between the 4stroke or the 2stroke ?

get a crf and dont bounce it off the rev limiter. the cr125 is a dog and you will have it forever because they are hard to sell since they suck pretty bad compared to a yz. if you have to have red between these two get a the 4 stroke.

I was in your position just a few months back. My decision was between a CR250R or a CRF450. I am alot older than you but plan to use my bike in a similiar fashion. I plan to mess around the track and re-learn this new (for me) style of motocross. Even though the CRs in general are not as fast as the YZ or KTMs they are VERY reliable and require much less upkeep than a 4 stroke. Suspension and handling will be one of the best. Go with the 2 stroke until you are ready to start racing in a big way, then go 4 stroke. Just a side note, I was at the track yesterday watching the races and there are some fast guys on 2 strokes and some REAL SLOW guys on some 4 strokes. The last places were not guys on 2 strokes. Pick one and have fun....

I am sort of leaning towards the crf250r because of the torque and that the 2 strokes are dieing. How much would the suspension sag if i sat on it, I'm 145lbs. I am 5' 6" do you think ill fit on one ?

You should be fine with the sag. If it sags too low, then adjust the spring pre-load. I weigh about 150-155 and my 06 crf450r was really stiff. I had to set the race sag when I got it. Which is normal for almost any bike that you get new or from someone else, unless of course the previous owner is the same weight as you.

Go with the 2 stroke until you are ready to start racing in a big way, then go 4 stroke. Just a side note, I was at the track yesterday watching the races and there are some fast guys on 2 strokes and some REAL SLOW guys on some 4 strokes. The last places were not guys on 2 strokes. Pick one and have fun....
:naughty: excellent advice here :D
I am sort of leaning towards the crf250r because of the torque and that the 2 strokes are dieing. How much would the suspension sag if i sat on it, I'm 145lbs. I am 5' 6" do you think ill fit on one ?
The torque is nice, but it comes at a price :bonk:. The stock springs on the CR are more appropriate for your weight than those on the CRF.

Hey guys, anyways i was wondering what would be a better bike for me. A cr125 or a crf250 ? I am 5' 6" tall, weigh about 145lbs, and am 14 years old. I just want this bike to screw around on. I will occasionally go to the track and will most of the time be racing a Crf230 just for fun.

Thanks, :bonk:

If you're not a serious racer a 125 is the right choice. Changing the oil and oil filter every ride is a pain along with worrying about you're engine having to be rebuilt and spending the price of another bike to fix it. The 250f has a more mellow power band but is also heavier...125's are a blast to ride and will make you a great rider if you ever switch to a four stroke. :naughty: There is no need to worry about parts unless you plan on keeping the bike for like 15 years :D I doubt they'll be hard to find even then...

I was in your position just a few months back. My decision was between a CR250R or a CRF450. I am alot older than you but plan to use my bike in a similiar fashion. I plan to mess around the track and re-learn this new (for me) style of motocross. Even though the CRs in general are not as fast as the YZ or KTMs they are VERY reliable and require much less upkeep than a 4 stroke. Suspension and handling will be one of the best. Go with the 2 stroke until you are ready to start racing in a big way, then go 4 stroke. Just a side note, I was at the track yesterday watching the races and there are some fast guys on 2 strokes and some REAL SLOW guys on some 4 strokes. The last places were not guys on 2 strokes. Pick one and have fun....

Couldn't have said it better myself, you pretty much only need to get a four stroke when it gets really competitive because a 250f has an advantage over a 125...although not a huge advantage if it's a rider who knows how to ride the bike. In other words, stick with the two stroke (Far less maintenance + expense) until you need to get a 250f to stay competitive. It sounds like you are already set on a four stroke though...so I guess this doesn't change your mind? :bonk:

Another vote for the yz125. Much less maintenance than a 250 four stroke. And as far as the two strokes going away, I think alot of people are switching back to two strokes because of cost and reliability of the 4 strokes.

there was a post on here somewhere about a month ago that said honda is bringing the 2 strokes back in 2010, they have one enduro 700something cc ou tnow in testing with better emissions, so 2 strokes wont be gone for long, but will be back out pretty soon as says by that ad, if i find it ill post the link here...

but id deff go 2 stroke, the 4 strokes are expensive to rebuild, i heard a 450 was 1900, so a 250 would be around a grand as to where a 2 stroke is around 75-200