Sign in to follow this  

head injurys...

ok, i've never been in this section so i'm gunna ask the expert on what i should do. a few years ago, i think i was 12, when i was racing 80's...

Ok, so to get to the point. i was racin and i'd been doin good all season, my last race before moving to 80 novice, and while in 2nd place, from the holeshot, i got taken out in the air by the leader and when i hit i got knocked out for ruffly 55 seconds (what everyone said). i came too, had a really bad headache, but i raced anyway the rest of the day. this was on a sunday

That wednsday, i went to the track for a practice. while ridin at a good pace, feeelin pretty good that day i was apperantly taken out off of one of the table tops (50ft) and i woke up in an ambulence on my way to the hospital with IV's in between each knuckle on both hands. anyway, after a couple catscans and 3000 dollars later i was home and i was told not to ride for like 6 weeks or whatever and i'm not aloud to race anymore. the doctor said i had suffered a bad concussion and he said from what he saw on the catscan, that it was worse because my brain was kinda messed up to begin with from being nocked out 3 days earlier.

my question, is it safe to still be ridin? the doctor said 2 concussions at the age of 12 is not so great and i still hit it from time to time. i have a slightly lazy eye now but i still think just fine. thoughts discussion?

LMAO...asking on an internet message board things that your doctor already told you about...So you have a cranial nerve palsy, chronic headaches, and poor grammar/spelling all from these two wrecks and you are asking us if you should continue riding? You are very young still. Listen to what your doctor and your parents say and you might survive long enough to lose your virginity!

LMAO...asking on an internet message board things that your doctor already told you about...So you have a cranial nerve palsy, chronic headaches, and poor grammar/spelling all from these two wrecks and you are asking us if you should continue riding? You are very young still. Listen to what your doctor and your parents say and you might survive long enough to lose your virginity!

:applause: :applause: :cry: :cry::lol:

well the doctor only said i had to wait 6 weeks to ride, which i waited like 5 but i was ok to ride after that time period... and i trail ride alot, which ISNT racing so i'm not breaking the rules with my mom. just wanted to know if one more concussion will do some permanet damage

well the doctor only said i had to wait 6 weeks to ride, which i waited like 5 but i was ok to ride after that time period... and i trail ride alot, which ISNT racing so i'm not breaking the rules with my mom. just wanted to know if one more concussion will do some permanet damage

Concussions happen when the brain sloshes around inside your skull from deceleration injuries. You get what we refer to coup-contracoup injuries. Basically, you are killing brain cells with each injury. Yes, you have several billion of them, but they do not regenerate like other cells in your body. You kill off enough cells in the right areas of the brain, you will have permanent deficits/effects. Look at Muhammed Ali...dementia pugilistica is basically the same thing as multiple concussions over time. If you hit your head hard enough you can get an epidural hematoma which can be fatal. Take a break for a few months. Let your body recuperate and then get back to it...jut my professional opinion. :applause:

well this was a couple years ago and i took like a 4 week break after it happened to ride again but i havnt done any "racing" since it happened. just mob around in the woods with my buddies. but i'll keep that in mind. do you think one more concussion would be extremely bad? like make me retarded or sumthin or just really hurt? cuz i plan on going to tracks in the future, and i have a tendency to land on my head...i have no idea why.

Head injuries and the subsequent brain injury are nothing to be taken lightly. Like davbrucas said you kill off brain cells and you don't get them back. A website I found sums it up nicely: "Because these major speech and language areas often receive damage, communication difficulties frequently occur following closed head injuries. Other problems may include voice, swallowing, walking, balance, and coordination difficulties, as well as changes in the ability to smell and in memory and cognitive (or thinking) skills." So that said I know from being a teenager myself you are going to do whatever you think is right regardless of what is said here, so in the very least have your parents take you back to the doctor to talk about riding and the amount of damage you have sustained, talk to him/her about the risk you are taking riding. And for the love of all things holy wear a high quality helmet.

I had a head injury when i was 12 also, this isnt something to mess around with. I know have no memory of the day our car got smashed by a semi or that entire summer. I still have some short term memory problems. Each concussion you get the easier it will be to get another also.

I have a wife who survived a Traumatic Brain Injury (not mc related). I know that at your age you will not always do the smart thing but like others have said it will cause problems if you beat it up enough. The strange thing about the brain is no one can truly say what the efffects of a certain injury will be because everyone responds so differntly. Beware that injury to the brain can cause siezures and that could keep you from getting a drivers license. I am not trying to scare you and I think that we should all live enjoyable lives. Since I take my wife on short rides with me Buell I won't tell you to stop rideing but I will say wear good gear and step it back a notch so you don't do obvious damage to yourself.

im 15 and have had 3 concussions from motocross.. my mom keeps trying to get me to not ride anymore because she doenst want me to have pernament damage but it is part of my life and i cant give it up.. so now i just dont tell her when i wreck anymore

At your age, with that number of concussions, you're risking permanent damage (and may already have some) if you get another concussion. You've got a long life ahead of you, so spending it as a vegetable or with epilepsy, memory loss or other life-changing disabilities is nothing minor.

If you were my kid, I'd find a good neurosurgeon for an exam that included an extensive MRI and whatever other tests, in order to get an accurate picture of the current situation. And then make a decision based on that. Right now you don't have enough information to make a good decision . . . so GET IT.

And if you continue to ride, where the best damn helmets out there. Spend your money on quality (HJC, Arai, Bell, Shoei) not other stuff.

I think that since he says that he no longer tells his mother when he wrecks is evidence enough of current brain injury...

i have 19 in total the longest i was out for was 50-55 min always been fine , but i have no childhood memory before the age of around 13 , i have been racing over 20 years now . the 24 hours after a hit on the head is when you have to take the most care , always have someone with you and get them to wake you up every 2 hours when you sleep .

I think that since he says that he no longer tells his mother when he wrecks is evidence enough of current brain injury...

Good point. Immaturity can be more dangerous than riding mx.

i have 19 in total the longest i was out for was 50-55 min always been fine , but i have no childhood memory before the age of around 13 , i have been racing over 20 years now . the 24 hours after a hit on the head is when you have to take the most care , always have someone with you and get them to wake you up every 2 hours when you sleep .

Besides the memory loss you report, your spelling and punctuation are all over the place. Don't know if that's just your style or something else.

The kid who first posted the question isn't telling his parents about what's going on, so it's unlikely he'll pay attention to your advice, especially the wake-every-2-hours part.