Idle Problems.....Smog Equipment??

Hey everyone, I am obviously new to this board. I just got a DR-Z 400 SM two weeks ago. Well, I have been having a little trouble. It has been having lean/rich problems. Let me say now I live in CA, so it is CA tuned. My friend is the Service Manager at the dealer and it went in there for a few days. It is better, but not perfect. After all that, what I want is to know how to remove the smog stuff, ie charcoal canister and stuff. Could someone point me at a thread already on here about that? Thanks for helping out a newbie!!

Thanks guys! Its kinda funny, cause as I was looking around on my bike, the DEALER didnt even have the vent line off the bottom of the tank hooked up to the cut off valve. It was just there and they didnt catch that. I am removing the valve now, but it made me laugh. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it rides tomorrow!!

have you been filling the tank all the way to the top? that will make the bike run crappy

Not all the time. Sometimes right after a complete fill up, my bike would actually just shut down. Did that twice when I filled up while on the freeway. Filled up, went back on the freeway and within a mile just quit running. I had looked up this problem on thumper talk after the first time it happened so I knew what it was about I opened the gas cap waited awhile and then it restarted. But, after the freeway incident, I went back to the site, found out how to disconnect the smog stuff, and did it.

It's 6000 miles later and haven't had it happen again.

Additional advantage of removing the smog pump... Now I can actually use my helmet lock.

Haha, good point about the helmet lock. I removed the smog stuff last night and I rode a lttle thiss morning. I had no problems. I am going for a longer ride right now, so we will see. Thanks for the help!

Ok, so I just got back from about 60 miles of riding. I didnt have any issues with the bike dying. But there was one wierd thing. It had uneven/choppy throttle response. Like, cruising on the freeway at like 70 and it would lurch forward a little the draw back. It was minor, but you could definately feel it. Or when I was doing like 40 on the road, the throttle would kinda sputter and not be smooth unless I was at 100%. On my shorter ride this morning, it was absolutely perfect, but at that point, I had not yet capped the line from the charcoal canister to the carb, it was just hanging. I went and got a vacuum cap and came back and put it on before the long ride. I also noticed that I was riding on "PRI" on the short ride and switched to "ON" for the longer ride.Anyway, I am gonna keep it how it is for about 2 tanks of gas, if it is still acting up, I am gonna put a filter on the port or the carb, instead of a cap and see what that does. What do you guys think?