Sign in to follow this  

gotta love the DRZ.....

Copy and paste from an ad on craigslist:

2005 CRF450X For Sale

Approximate 1,700 miles on bike. Fluids Changed every 60 to 70 miles. Valves checked every other oil change. Only needed re-shimming twice!

Copy and paste from an ad on craigslist:

i see why he only rode it 70 miles a month:smirk:

only reshimmed twice,thats good.

he left out the part about that being in the last 2 rides.

HAHAHA! I used to have a 450 honda. Those are the loudest damn valves I have ever heard in my life. Those motors constantly sound like they are minutes from exploding (even with extensive maintenace). All in all though, wicked power, great bike!

Now if I could just get my DRZ that light....

This guy is crazy, I reckon oil should be changed every 500 miles on a CRF!

Anyway on DRZ can be changed every 3000 miles for mild use

Anyway on DRZ can be changed every 3000 miles for mild use
That's a big interval if you're riding in dusty conditions. Even with mild use it doesn't hurt to change the oil more often. I feel guilty if I go 400 miles without an oil change. My biggest interval was 440 miles.

Of course, everybody should take the 15 minutes you need to learn how to change your own oil and filter. Gravity does most of the work.

Well I do many miles commuting during week days and I ride some off road in the week ends. I do not insist with the throttle and I do not use high rpms.

On my bikes, Honda XR and KTM LC4, I changed oil every 3000 miles/5000 kms and I never had a problem.

I sold my XR650R with 26.000 miles and never a problem.

I reckon DRZ is the same kind of bike and I will behave the same way. I know people that had problem after 30.000 miles of hard use changing oil every 3000 miles...

Changing to often, in my opinion, is such a waste but maybe wit do a different use of the bike because of the different conditions.

I guess for me more frequent oil changes are one way I baby the engine. I'm not super hard on my bike, but I don't try and take it easy either.

Also, every time I do change the oil, even at 250 miles, it's dirty. Not fully of gunk, but not the clear gold or red it is when new. Maybe that's OK, and it wouldn't hurt the engine to keep that oil in there, but for $8 I'm happy to change it.

$8? I usually buy my oil online in bulk to try and save money but last time I bought from the dealer and it cost me a little over $20 for 2 jugs of silkolene full synth. I think I will try and find a less expensive full synth oil for the winter time since I don't ride it much and when I do it is just around town.

I'm runnin' the Suzuki full-syn racing oil. I usually pay $6.95/qt at the stealer.

Dan

P.S. I try to keep it at or below 500 miles for my changes!

OK, I'll buy the bike ! First thing I'm gonna do is go on a 300 mile ride so I will need to bring along.......

Several quarts of oil, a drainpan, stand, tools....then there's the required valve adjustments so I'll need more tools and maybe some shims....While I'm at it I should probably change the air in the tires 'cause that can go stale, stale air is unsafe at ANY speed. I'll need my compressor. Does anybody know the weight limit for one of those rack thingy's ?

Man what if there's no power...I should bring my generator too.....

Oh Boy this sounds like Fun!! I can't wait for my first ride !

:applause:

After 2000 miles my oil looks new.

I know people racing the DRZ in Africa (Pharaons rally) changing oil every 1000 miles on a used bike, of course having no problem...

Just to tell that the DRZ is tough, long lasting and it doesn't need a frequent maintainance, then everybody should choose the maintainance schedule depending on the way he uses the bike.

After 2000 miles my oil looks new.

I know people racing the DRZ in Africa (Pharaons rally) changing oil every 1000 miles on a used bike, of course having no problem...

Just to tell that the DRZ is tough, long lasting and it doesn't need a frequent maintainance, then everybody should choose the maintainance schedule depending on the way he uses the bike.

Changing oil every 3K miles is okay for commuting. I change at 1200 mile intervals and the oil is still clean. This is street and some off road riding. At 6K miles the valves were in spec.:applause:

500miles?try 100.

What is the difference with the motors that require CRF oil changes so frequently compared to the DRZ?

the crf holds less than 1 qt of motor oil and makes 10-15 more hp.

Sounds like an oil change per ride:eek: