Sign in to follow this  

YZ timing a wr

hey guys i did the yz wr cam mod to my 01 and im wondering if i can do it to my 05 model wrf. will rotating the cam work or not.

On the 03 and newer bikes you must change out the wr cam for the yz cam in order for the auto decomp to work properly. You can't just rotate the cam. Hope this helps.

Josh

cut the gray wire

This doesn't even have anything to do with his question. He wanted to know if he could rotate the exhaust cam to YZ specs on an 05 WRF. The answer is no. It requires a little more work than that. You may be able to grind down the decomp pin and make it work, but it would be much easier and more accurate if you just replace it with a YZ auto decomp cam or a hotcam with auto decomp. Hope this helps.

Josh

Keep in mind that a HotCam exhaust cam is not exactly the same as a OEM YZ. The profile is nearly indentical, but as best I could tell w/o getting out indicator wheels and measuring equipment, the HotCam exh cam appears to be about a 1/3-1/2 tooth retarded from a stocker YZ cam.

I had the HC exh only in my 05 WR last summer for a while and then switched to a YZ OEM cam. There was a definite diff in the top end pull between the two (HC = better), but the YZ cam had better low-mid power.