Sign in to follow this  

Baja Designs headlight

I've been thinking about changing out my headlight to save some wieght up high on my bike, and decided that the basic BD light was the way to go. Ive read that the stock setup on the s is about 6 pounds:confused: . Anyone know how much the BD light weighs.

You want to save weight on a headlight swap? :applause:

Think about what you're saying here....

You want to save weight on a headlight swap? :applause:

Think about what you're saying here....

Hmmmm . . . . . dont know what you mean? I have a over wieght top heavy bike with a crappy light for night riding. So the logical thing to do would be lose wieght up high, cant think of a better candidate for me to upgrade than the headlight. Thanks for helping me see the light though:excuseme: :applause:

Hmmmm . . . . . dont know what you mean? I have a over wieght top heavy bike with a crappy light for night riding. So the logical thing to do would be lose wieght up high, cant think of a better candidate for me to upgrade than the headlight. Thanks for helping me see the light though:excuseme: :applause:

I swapped out the stocker S light for the Diablo HID. After all is said and done you will save about two pounds, that is for the S model, so the weight savings is really a non-issue. FWIW, the stock S DOT headlight works quite well, better than the standard BD light. I you,re going to put on a BD light go with an HID so at least you get a better light than the stocker. One thing I notice is that although the HID is super bright and lights up the trail quite well, the stocker had a wider beam pattern. If I were to do it over again I would probably get the Tecate HID since it has a little halogen over the main HID which lights up the area around the front tire quite well while the main HID gives you great forward night visibility. I am very happy with the light output of the HID v. the stock S light.

An advantage of the Diablo HID is that you wire it into only the low beam portion of the harness which effectively turns your HI/LO switch into an ON/OFF switch for your headlight.

If you are unhappy with the S light output the cheapest route would be to put in a higher wattage bulb. You can also put a high wattage bulb into the regular BD light. The expensive route is of course the HID. The weight savings of swapping out the light is insignificant IMO, but a pound savings here and there does add up after a while. Only you can decide if its worth it to you or not.

To lose maybe another pound up top you can replace the stock speedo with a trail tech endurance/lynx/vapor. Either way, the DRZ is still a heavy bike, thats just the way it is.

Really, is the hid setup acceptable for the street or is it too bright. $100 for 1 pound ill look into some other options thank you for the help.

Really, is the hid setup acceptable for the street or is it too bright. $100 for 1 pound ill look into some other options thank you for the help.

The BD HID is not a DOT light, so while technically not street legal I dont think the cops will give you any grief over it as long as its not pointed up too high.

For night trail riding the HID is really the way to go IMO. There was a thread a while back and I cant seem to find it now where a guy took off his stock S light, brackets etc and weighed them vs. his Acerbis Cyclops (I think) and he reported that the difference was a little less than 2 pounds.

Like I mentioned, the most economical thing is put a brighter bulb in your stocker, but I would also wire in a switch because it will pull down the battery pretty quick when the bike is not running.