Sign in to follow this  

KX 250f backfire screen

Just wondering if anyone has removed the backfire screen on there kawi 250f. I did it on my honda last year and didn't have any problems. Just wondering if anyone else does it.

it doesn't do anything....to be honest it takes away the smallest, like a mole amount of power....u cnt even notice it...its is only useful riding in the woods.....actually let me correct that....it won't cause any problems...took it out on my PC pipe

He's talking about the backfire screen in the air box,not the spark arrester.

Some people swear it helps (by the seat of the pants) as for me I didn't notice much so I left it in on the Kawi.Some people will say why risk catching your bike on fire but I think thats very hard to do.But for the minimal amount of gain I don't think it's worth it.

:lol: my mistake...yea the backfire screen....i left mine in...the only thing i do with it is i always take it out when im cleaning the air filter....

very anal when it comes to cleaning :applause:

He's talking about the backfire screen in the air box,not the spark arrester.

Some people swear it helps (by the seat of the pants) as for me I didn't notice much so I left it in on the Kawi.Some people will say why risk catching your bike on fire but I think thats very hard to do.But for the minimal amount of gain I don't think it's worth it.

i think if you ever got fire up to your airbox, then your bike would be toast anyway.

if it happens that your bike does backfire that is the reason for the screen being there, so your filter doesn't catch on fire... Things are there for a reason, I would leave it...

If you do notice a performance increase it will most likely be physiological

i think its there for more of a liability then anything. i dont think that a quick flash(if you could get your bike to backfire up through the carb) could catch it on fire ive never herd of it happening but i guess its still possible.

btw i took mine off and didnt notice much other then a real small increase in throttle response.

I took the one out of my bike and barely noticed a diffrence. But its easier to clean the filter now i guess.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to risk it and take it out. You guys that took it out, did you cut it , or unscrew it off of the boot?

i cut mine out with a dremel and that was a real pain in the ass. def unbolt it.

:lol: my mistake...yea the backfire screen....i left mine in...the only thing i do with it is i always take it out when im cleaning the air filter....

very anal when it comes to cleaning :applause:

How could you clean it WITHOUT taking the cage out?

How could you clean it WITHOUT taking the cage out?

i take out the whole air cleaner assembly, including the air filter, air filter cage and holder, the damper, and the arrestor screen, and then the boot, and the subframe

I do the same thing... On all my bikes I've always just unbollted the sub-frame and dumped gas all over the whole freakin thing. Then I wash it down with water real good and let it hang dry for a while. I'm sure that wouldn't set well with the epa. lol

i wouldnt do it last yr a mate of mine was in a race on a crf450 and his bike caught fire cause of it so dont risk it