Sign in to follow this  

05 cam chain tensioner, NO TENSION!!

Just bought a 05 450 with what seems to be low hours on bike. When I checked and adjusted valves and went to reinstall cam chain tensioner there was no resistance installing it. I had a yz250f and that one you had to screw the tensioner out to install.The previous owner said he just installed a new tensioner on the bike and showed me the reciept. Is it possible my cam chain is stretched?Thanks for any help.

The cam chains on the 450 arnt the longest lasting ones ive come across, to say the least. But on the other hand, the tensioner does go in pretty easy. When I had a CRF450 I had to replace the timing chain after about 2 yrs, but I had put a lot of hours on the bike. Take the cap off and make sure the screw isnt stuck, if the tensioner is working fine, id check the chain tension then possibly look at getting a new chain and guides.

If the tensioner is all the way out and you do not feel it hit the chain when you install it then the chain need to be replaced. I had this same problem. New chain and problem solved. Easy to replace, but you have to borrow/buy a flywheel remover.