Sign in to follow this  

Tips on BRP sub-mount, Scott's damper install?

Getting ready to install the BRP submount, Scott's damper, Pro Tapers on my '06 TE250. I'm using the stock triple. I'm kinda worried about installing the bolt-on tower. Looks like some grinding may be required. Any tips from one who's done it would be great. Thanks,

Getting ready to install the BRP submount, Scott's damper, Pro Tapers on my '06 TE250. I'm using the stock triple. I'm kinda worried about installing the bolt-on tower. Looks like some grinding may be required. Any tips from one who's done it would be great. Thanks,

Minor "Clearancing" is sometimes required. It's really no big deal though.

If you have questions, call BRP and they will walk you through it.

And......Goooooo Bigggg Reddddddddddddddd !

(Huskers, if you have to ask, you would not understand)

Yep. I had to remove some material from the upper clamp because the tower would contact the clamp before the turn stops. Here is a picture. It wasn't a big deal to fix and everything else went on just fine.

ScottsMount.jpg

1) it doesn't take a lot of modifications...just a little filing with a flat edged metal file.

2) While you have the top clamp off...think about checking your head bearings...only takes an extra 30 minutes.

3) you'll love the ride afterwords...works great!

I'm be interested in this thread as I ordered a BRP sub-mount set-up for my 2007 TE450. I missed the file-to-fit requirement. I had already planned to re-grease the steering head with Bel-Ray waterproof grease.

What Pro-Taper bar did you select? I'm 6' 0" and got the Hawkins Woods high; that looks like it will pick up the bars about 1-1/2" over stock.

Reference the clearance issue (TE250 only). I used a belt sander on my upper triple clamp, using the wheel (curvature) on the belt sander to make a nice curve. After I had the angles the way I wanted them I took some fine sand paper and machine oil and smoothed it out to a polished surface. It looks really good and only took about 30 minutes.

Scotts dampers are coming with a new larger knob. The knob doesn't clear the handlebars. You'll need the old style, teardrop shaped, knob. I was sent the wrong knob on my damper so I ended up using an older Scotts unit I had on hand.

There's also a clearance issue with the nuts that hold the bar clamps (see picture above). They hit the tower ring. I actually spent more time fitting the tower to the frame than I did working on the upper triple clamp.

When I had problems and called BRP they were useless.

I don't beleive the TE450 06/07 have this fitment issue.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s273/kx5oo/?action=view&current=P2110386.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to all that replied.:applause:

DesertWill, I already went through the Scott's knob BS. BRP first said I was nuts but agreed to send me the old style knob - then they f-ing CHARGED me for it, shipping was more than the knob:mad: I called and bitched and they refunded me (and sent me another small knob ) The second guy I talked to seemed to know his stuff better.

What did you do to solve the bar clamp nut clearance problem?

Did anybody have to file on the back of the steering neck to get the tower to fit?

1) it doesn't take a lot of modifications...just a little filing with a flat edged metal file.

2) While you have the top clamp off...think about checking your head bearings...only takes an extra 30 minutes.

3) you'll love the ride afterwords...works great!

I had to file just a little - took me 20 or so minutes to fit the clamp properly on my KTM....Might fit perfectly on another guys, but not on mine because of welding imperfections. Was no big deal.

What Pro-Taper bar did you select? I'm 6' 0" and got the Hawkins Woods high; that looks like it will pick up the bars about 1-1/2" over stock.

I went with the Emig (I think), wanted to keep it just a little higher than stock. I'm 5'9" though.

EDIT: I was wrong, they are Henry/Reed bend. Supposed to be close to stock height after submount install according to BRP.

Mine bolted right on, no filing needed.

Getting those bar mount nuts tight is a little tedious.

Mine bolted right on, no filing needed.

Getting those bar mount nuts tight is a little tedious.

KfxBob, you have TE450 right ? did you have the nob issue ?

My BRP sub mount and Scott just shipped....

To get the tower on I used a dremel and ground it (the inside of the ring) to fit over the welds on the frame (vs the instructions which wants you to grind on your bike). Even so, there was one small spot (weld) on on the back of the steering head I had to grind just a touch. Ideally, it's best to get the tower ring to sit down on the weld that goes around the steering head. I think I have about a 1/16 of an inch clearance with the nut now. I've had towers move a bit when I was riding or after falling. I didn't want the clearance so close that it might make contact later. And, I wanted it on firmly.

Same deal when I called BRP. They didn't know anything about the setup. Insisted that it was a no modiification install. BRP couldn't identify if I got the right parts (part numbers), didn't know anything about the knob and didn't offer to help. :applause:

I understand your pain with BRP. My first order was with Jim who was great and my parts for the KTM 200 rebuild had no problems. Jim was awesome and took the time to listen and cared. Yes, I spent 800 bucks but got the right stuff!! Three weeks later when I got my bonus $$ from work, the order for the Husky TE250 was done. Getting a Scott's mount again, top tripple, bar mount, computer mount, chain guard. Helped by another salesman lower on the chain of command. Jim was unavailable at the time.:eek: I asked for him personally. The result, I was shipped the wrong bar mount 1 1/8, not stock like wanted to fit the Tom's. No bracket for the computer as requested and I double checked with them on parts order review to make sure I get it. To top it off they sent me the top tripple with the holes not drilled for the computer bracket. OK, did they fix it. YES:thumbsup:Timely fashion YES:thumbsup: I ended up getting a pro-taper bar in RM low again but have a Windam/RM mid on the shelf that I will use first hight set up. (use the RM spare for KTM if not like it) If it wasn't that I got pnumonia 2 days after calling them with the bad parts ordeal I would have been pissed account unable to do my race with the Scott's mounted. My fault I got sick trying to ride in wet snow and rain. Mike fixed the problem with no issues and was great help. Would I recomend BRP again. YES. Will I buy from them again YES.

As for instalation on the TE, I have only started account just recovering from being sick. Got the top ring on and didn't have to file anything. Re-greased the bearings and dry fit the top tripple. Hope to have it done Sunday night. Will post photo's when done.

Jim the owner has been great and big help. I think you must have spoken to the village idiot that messed my order up. :lol: They have been very patient and if you do the same your bike will be ready to roll.:lol::applause:

***When ordering for the TE make sure you get the pre drilled top tripple for your computer mount.***

Di

KfxBob, you have TE450 right ? did you have the nob issue ?

My BRP sub mount and Scott just shipped....

NO ISSUE at all, but I have the small knob, NOT sure the larger knob would fit.

I used a dremel too and that worked great. I've seen some wear on my radiator tube and I'm thinking it needs to be wrapped in something. I'm at the point where I'm gonna order a replacement and put it in my Ogio tool belt just in case. Take your time installing the stabilizer and don't strip anything out...also remember to lube the tower pin. You'll be very happy with this upgrade..worth every penny.

You'll be very happy with this upgrade..worth every penny.

I could NOT agree more,

My son and I switched bikes last weekend, His 525 Orange bike, My Husky.

I was happy with the overall power of the Orange thing, but not with the handling in the sandy/rocky washes, He was amazed with how stable the Husky was under the same conditions, Now He is looking into a stabilizer.

I am a recreational rider, He is a D37 racer.

Minor "Clearancing" is sometimes required. It's really no big deal though.

If you have questions, call BRP and they will walk you through it.

And......Goooooo Bigggg Reddddddddddddddd !

(Huskers, if you have to ask, you would not understand)

Here are some pics of my sub-mount, Scott's damper install,

I did not have to do any grinding:applause:

The pics of the Scott's damper are kinda at the back sorry:excuseme:

David

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=sngqblv.4uhmrx3&Uy=vuszck&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

snake, I think your stock upper triple is different than my 250. Does it have one pinch bolt or 2? Mine has 2.

Also, there's no way I will have that much clearance between the damper knob(s) and the bars, even with the small "pointer" knob like you have