Help!

I need to either get a 125 two smoke or a 250 four stroke. I need something very reliable for starting and i really dont know wich is better. I will be racing mx with it so im thinkin the 2 stroke is probably not the best choice. But im also not made of money for replacing top ends on 4 strokes. There may also be the occasioanl trail ride on it also. Im realyl stuck here. I am not bias towards any brand so that doesnt matter.

Please dont turn this thread into an arugument over 2 or 4 stroke or what brand is better.

I really need some help.

Thanks in advance.

I was originally thinking about a 2 smoke but i dont want to have a serious disadvantage racing.

But the low matnince cost of a 2 smoke probably out weigh having a slight disadvantage.

I guess it depends more on the rider than the bike.

I was originally thinking about a 2 smoke but i dont want to have a serious disadvantage racing.

But the low matnince cost of a 2 smoke probably out weigh having a slight disadvantage.

At the local level, its mainly about the rider. You shouldn't notice any disadvantage. Have fun!

Where in Massachusetts are you located?

Where in Massachusetts are you located?

Im over near Umass Amherst. Theres like 3 places to ride and peope are complaining about one so it might get shut down. Thats why racing seems to be the only way to ride without pissin someone off. :applause:

Anyways...thanks, I think i will go with the 2 stroke becuse i just dont have enough money to rebuild 4 stokes after racing.

The 250f's are a little less reliable than the 450's, but are you sure that you are going to be riding this thing pinned everywhere? You don't have to rebuild top ends on 4 strokes all the time. It is valve adjusting (every 15 hrs of hard riding or so) It is usually around $100 to do this. There are brands such as KTM that are VERY easy to adjust the valves your self. Actually you are more likely to rebuild a 2 stoke top end twice as often as a 4 stroke. I am sure you will get used to and be fast on whatever you get.:applause:

The 250f's are a little less reliable than the 450's, but are you sure that you are going to be riding this thing pinned everywhere? You don't have to rebuild top ends on 4 strokes all the time. It is valve adjusting (every 15 hrs of hard riding or so) It is usually around $100 to do this. There are brands such as KTM that are VERY easy to adjust the valves your self. Actually you are more likely to rebuild a 2 stoke top end twice as often as a 4 stroke. I am sure you will get used to and be fast on whatever you get.

Thanks, I will be mainly be using the bike on tracks like Southwick wich is the track i will be primarily racing at. But i also do a fair amount of trail riding wich is the only reason im worried the 2 stroke wont have enough torque or bottom end power. But i dont know how much i can afford for 4 stroke maintnence.

I've been racing 4-strokes since 01. I've never even had a valve out of spec, let alone had to do a top end.

I had to do a top end on my TTR after 2 years. I dont know how racing and never having to do anything is possible. :applause:

• 2 weeks later...

wow...i was expecting more pro-4 stroke responses.

Is it possible to do 4 stroke rebuilds on your own?..because it seems the only reason the 4-stroke rebuilds would be that much more then 2 stroke is how much your paying someone else to do it. :applause:

wow...i was expecting more pro-4 stroke responses.

Is it possible to do 4 stroke rebuilds on your own?..because it seems the only reason the 4-stroke rebuilds would be that much more then 2 stroke is how much your paying someone else to do it. :eek:

This is true, but? If you race it then you will have to fix it. Your not going to get away from that no matter what you buy. Tires, chains, sprockets, (and nowadays GAS), oil changes or mix, rebuilding forks- more than your motor, You will get a biased opinion from most people here. Both are good and reliable. Try out both and decide for yourself.:applause: