Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Indy Supercross

I got tickets to the supercross race in Indianapolis on 3/24. I have never been to a supercross or motocross race before and need some information about the event. Doors open at 12:30 for practice and qualifying and the race begins at 7:00. Can someone shed some light on the timeline for the day? How long does practice/qualifying last? Can you leave after practice/qualifying and return before the race or does this last all day until the final main event? Thanks in advance for your help.

You can go in for the day and leave , then come back for the night. Used to be the day stuff went til about 5. But I'm not sure now since they changed the rules ( no semis, different qualifing ) but I would guess it's still the same. Charlie

Make a day of it.

Go in early, watch some practice, get in line for autographs, buy souvenirs. Try to watch practice when RC, Reed and Stewart go out as that's always interesting, like a preview of what it'll happen that night.

Take a break for dinner (lots of good restaurants downtown and near the Dome) then go back around 6:30 and settle into your seats.

We'll be there.

Take a break for dinner (lots of good restaurants downtown and near the Dome) then go back around 6:30 and settle into your seats.

I second that. Indi downtown area is really nice.

Thanks for the info. I will be staying downtown and I am looking forward to the races and downtown Indy. Should be a fun weekend.

Theres lots of stuff to do in Indy. My wife is from there so we usually go to the "Slipperynoodle" blues bar when we are down town. There is also a good bike shop on Washington called Dryers cycle not too far from the RCA dome.:applause:

My 13 year old daughter and I drove to St Louis (from southern Indiana) on Saturday for our first Supercross ever.

We got there about 30 minutes before the doors opened (12:30) and first thing I did was buy 2 Pit Passes (which I know the local mc shops have for free, but hey, we weren't local). We watched guys practice for about 5 minutes on our way to the pits.

When the doors opened we headed for the pits. They have all the team trailers there and lots of things on display. The big names are closest to the track entrance to minimize the fan control issues. To get an autograph of James, Chad, or Ricky, you had to get in line to receive one of the limited # of free tickets required to get an autograph. For James, the tickets were handed out at 1:30 and the autographs started at 2:30. I stood in the James Stewart line and my daughter stood in Chad's line. The difference was that after I got my ticket I went over to stand by her. Her line did not break up after getting the ticket. Everyone stayed in place and waited. Since she was $8 in line, she got an autograph right away (once they started at 2:30) and then we headed over to James' line. We were at the end of James' line but it works out that they pass out only enough tickets so that they can sign for everyone in the 45 minutes they set aside for that.

Be warned --- LOTS of people sneaking into line real casually. I saw soem people get ratted out to the security guards standing nearby and they made them leave.

Reed was not engaged at all with the people while James and Tim Ferry were very cordial, talkative, and leaning up for some face to face pictures while signing autographs.

After autographs, we wandered the pits, talked to some mechanics, signed up for a couple of pit bike giveaways, and generally hung out.

Around 4:30 some of the sponsors started passing out some free stuff, like Monster drinks, some hats, T-Shirts, etc.

All the while, various practice sessions were happening on the track. Near the track entrance from th epits was a sign with the day's schedule of events. Pretty much th eonly time we had nothing happening on the track was for about 45 minutes before the first Heat Race.

The KTM 50's were awesome. On elittle guy had the lead, crashed in the deep sand, got up and was in fifth place. He came back and won the 3 lap race. Very exciting!!!

I had a great time and my daughter said it was the best day of her life (so far!!!). It was just fun taking it all in. I couldn't imagine leaving after getting in. Too much that we might have missed!!!

Mike.

No pits @ Indy.

Thats what i thought.

Does anybody know if Ricky will be there? I'll be mad if not cause i didn't know last year would be his last for me to see him race. I'm goin but the friends aren't in to it like i am they wanna sit at the bars and get drunk then go in in time for the racein. Then get up every 15min to piss :eek:. Plus i made the mistake of tellin them to bring our girlfriends. So we have to go walk around the mall for 18 hrs then i have to listen to my buddies girl bitch about the smoke and dust and... etc. :lol:

Sorry i had to vent.

But i will enjoy the shit out of it. :lol::applause:

Theres lots of stuff to do in Indy. My wife is from there so we usually go to the "Slipperynoodle" blues bar when we are down town. There is also a good bike shop on Washington called Dryers cycle not too far from the RCA dome.:applause:

Dreyer is a pretty good shop. The prices are generally high on gear and

accessories, but I buy almost all my Genuine Honda stuff there.

There's also Cycle Outfitters -- a gear and accessories shop and not a

dealer -- who has pretty good prices and always has a fair bit of clearance

gear.

Here are some directions for both....

Dreyer Cycle

West on I70 to Holt Road

Holt Road North (Right from light) to Washington St

Washington St West (Left at Light)

1/2 - 1 mile. Dreyer is on the right.

Cycle Outfitters

I65 South to I465 West

I465 West to US31 South

US31 South to Thompson Road

Thompson Road East (Left) to Madison Ave

Madison Ave South (Right)

about a mile.

Outfitters is at the intersection of Madison and Epler across from the Speedway station.

Hope this helps.

I was invited to go to the indy sx it will be my first i'm alittle worried about my bumbed ankle tho i hear it's about a 10hr trip from pa leaving early saturday morning. Think i'll have any problems getting aroudn on crutchs?

You should be ok. Depends wheere you are sitting. Just don't buy a lot of beer that way you don't have to get up a lot. and if you do get up do so when nobody else is(ie during the racin :eek:)

I went to my first motocross event with a broken ankle. Kenworthy's 1998 :applause: