Sign in to follow this  

06 TC450 Desert Riders, what's your setup?

Looking to setup my new TC450, but wanted to get a feeling for what others were doing. And yes, I have read about 4-5 posts that discuss TC450 suspension...

Most importantly suspension!

Who did your valving etc... on your suspension setup?

I'm So Cal, so desert is what I'm after, suspension wise.

Let me know who did your suspension for desert, and would you recommend them again?

Did you do the front and rear, or just adjust the rear and only revalve etc the front.

I'm 210 + gear...so I don't know if the bike out of the box is any good for me or not.

Anything you might do differently?

Is a steering stabilizer really effective on these bikes, or too much money?

Gearing, what's everyone using for desert riding gearing? 15/48? Or?

In terms of the lighter flywheel on these and the low speed stalling, you guys putting heavier flywheels on, or just dealing with it?

Sorry for all the q's...but desert bikes will have similar setups/concerns, so I thought I'd just hit them all...

Thanks guys...

I have a '04 but very similar. I would put around 500 miles on the front end before you spend the $$$ on a revalve, just adjust the springs so it's not so harsh during this time. The springs are really stiff until breakin. You will notice a big difference once it's broken in.

Stock sprocket gearing make this bike tough in the whoops & hill climbs, as the TC450's just put out loads of torque with the stock gearing. I'm changing to 15/46 so it's not so jumpy. If your running more open desert / baja most guys change to 15/44 all the way to 16/42. You will definetly want a stabilizer if your running the speeds these gears put out :applause:

Make sure you get a skid plate and hand guards before anything.

Well, I will jump in here since I run D-38 but I am one of the slow guys and still pretty much run a stock bike with stock gearing and suspension. The forks on my 06 510 will be going to Precision Concepts over the summer break but the Ohlins rear will be left alone. The 04 450 I have is used as a back-up bike and might be getting sold so I am not changing a thing on it. The only changes I have made to both bikes is added an IMS tank, a GPR stabilizer with Pro-Taper bars (a must with the high speeds and I would do this before any other suspension work), and Rooster guards (skid plate, brake front and rear and exhaust shield) and hand guards.

See the following post. Steny from Baja Huskys is a big supporter of us Husky racers in D-38 and fields a few bikes for the SCORE series so he knows a lot about the set ups and gearing for the faster deserts of D-38 and Baja. The posts below talks about their engines during the Baja1k and some gearing changes they made. He had another post I remember reading but can't find it where he talked about some speed tests they did with top speed and gearing.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464504&highlight=gearing

Ok, need to define desert better. This bike will be 80% Mojave (Barstow, Randsburg, etc), 10% Mountain Trails (larger trails), and 10% here and there.

It would be Ocotillo Wells 100%, but I made a deal with my parents that I would not ride a d-bike out there anymore. (Too many personal friends got hurt out there in past years).

Anyhow, after reading your posts, few keys points I picked up.

-Don't spend a dime until I break the suspension in after a few hundred miles.

-Gearing, to keep it sane should be like a 15 front and between a 46 and 48 rear. Anyone have any top speeds for a 15/48 combo? I'm looking to be where I was on my old TE's.... 85-90mph range.... 65-70 comfortable...

-Stabalizer might be needed if I'm running much beyond stock gearing..

-What is the range on stock tank? Can I get 50 miles on it, in desert, mid to high throttle?

-Don't need to mess with Ohlins rear...

-Few recommendations for suspension guys, thanks...

Q's...

1: How helpful or what use are the hand guards? Where are they most helpful?

2: I purchased the Rooster Rad guards, exhaust shield, skid plate...but not the front and rear disc guards... Should I send back the Radiator guards? Should I get the hand ones? Do I really need the $100 disc guards?

3: If I'm use to the heavier flywheels from the older generation Huskies, will I hate this one? If so, do you recommend I put the TE one in?

4: Where is D-37 at? I'm familair with D-38 area. I do not race, I ride purely for fun, but like a competitive bike that works and works well.

Thanks for the help guys...

Reading the other link now that Josh provided, missed that.... thank you...

Just a few comments to your questions. I have a 05 TC 450, so there are few details that may require a slight correction factor.

Gearing;

I usually run a 16/50. WOT on the flats=85 mph (not on the rev-limiter). With this gearing the bike IMO runs comfortable at 50mph all day long with blast up to to 70's for short periods. I have run a 16/46 before in the high speed stuff. I felt the bike did pretty good with this gearing but the down side is that its like not having a first gear. I dont know top speed with 16/46 gearing or of any long term tranny probs. Since I mostly ride with friends and dont do that much dez racing 16/46 is too high, unless you want to ride by yourself all the time. With 16/50 the bike still chugs fairly good. I usually ride a combination of tight twisty single tracks, up and down step rocky trails, and long streches of deep arizona sand washes and dont feel that a heavier flywheel is reallynecessary, but its more of a personal preference that is dependent on your riding style. IMHO these bike are great and will do just about anything as is.

Suspension:

I put about three hundred miles on mine before going through the front and back suspension. The back was pretty good out of the box, but the front was terrible. I almost put her down three times that I can remember as direct result of the front tire deflected off of easy stuff instead of soaking it up. The first time it totally caught me by suprise, second time I started thinking "what's going on here", third time my confidence in the suspensions was getting a bit shaky. I took my front and back to Dewayne Jones and now its like riding on air. Its nice to be able to turn the clickers and feel the difference that blueprinted suspension can make in performance.

Stabilizer: I have a scotts with the protech enduro underbar mount. Love it... Wouldn't ride with out it. Unless it mean't not riding at all. I feel that it makes a difference at all speeds not just high speeds. Just remeber to turn it down when you get out of the fast stuff..:lol:

I have no radiator gaurds on, afraid of over heating...

No hand gaurds, havent seen any that I like enough to spend 100+ bucks on

Difinetly get a skid plate, I have an uptite

IMS 3.4 (natural) for the long stuff.

JD red needle, 175 main jet, 55 pilot. I flet that the bike chugs better with the 55 instead of the 45 that JD suggest. No o-ring. leaded 100+ octane fuel (a mix of sunoco and pump).

Tires:

Maxxis, Dunlop, Kings, Bridgestone, Pirelli...tried 'em all... Lately I have been running the maxxis desert-it in back and a pirelli scorpion pro up front. Seems to bite real nice, but need a new front after 500 miles of the arizona desert. I have noticed that the Maxxis seem to hold up the best in the back so far. All in all, this bike doest really care, it tears them all up equally. Its mostly all personal preference.

In Conclusion, If I had to make recommend mods to start with, I would recommend front suspension work and a stabilzer. Oh yeah, a skid plate too...All in all, these bikes are great. With just a bit of work to suit it to your personnel preferences you will have a really nice machine.

hope this helps...

:applause:

CK

ck, helps a lot actually. Thank you

Does Dewayne Jones work out of his home or a shop? Any details so I can keep a list of all the guys I can have do the front....

With the money I'll get back in sending back the Rad guards/maybe the rear sprocket (since I can go with a 16 up front maybe), I can put that towards the stabalizer.... skid plate is already sitting in the closet ready to go on...

For jetting, they (Malcolm Smith's dealership) gave me a 60 leak jet, a 42 pilot jet, and this needle with the marking.. "OBDVP" on it that they said to put it 5th from the top. They told me to leave the rest alone. Standard prem pump.... They said this is what has been working for all of their customers... I have not put the jetting in yet, or even ran the bike until it does have jetting since they run way too lean until jetted properly.

May just bring the bike down to GP and let them prep it "their way" and go from there...

Thanks for all the info, quite helpful.

CoyBoy: So I should still use like a 15 or 16 front and a 48 or 46 rear? I caught your post, but didn't realize how much difference it meant though. Thx.

Another question for you guys.

I had RG3 do my front re-vavlving etc years back on my old 410 (when I weighed about 25-30lbs less) and they did a great job, well at least to my standards. Those were Marzocchi's too I think.

Is RG3 still known for customer satisfaction and good suspesion work on our bikes?

They are about 1.5 hours from me, like most places, so I just wanted to get a feeling for them too.

Thx

Lots of good shops for suspension. Ajax recommended FBF for me. My guys coming off Hondas and KTMs went with Precision Concepts in El Cajon. They did wonders for the forks and shock. Turn around time was great too, just 2 days for forks and 3 days for shock (had to wait for spring from Ohlins).

Go with GP for jetting. Paul will treat you right, you know him.

Two of my guys raced the 06 TC 510 and 05 TE 510 in the local D-38 desert and BITD since December. They went with the 15/44 combo which works great for that racing terrain. We stayed away from the 16T because the case guard wouldn't fit with it on. Otherwise, I would have gone with the 16/44 gearing. 15/44 with Power Now and PN + and Scary Fast, stock air cleaner and pipes was clocked at 101 mph on roadway back in November before the Baja 1000 for both 450 and 510.

1st gear is sort of useless with that tall gearing, but in desert racing and for most of Baja, 1st gear isn't used anyway correct? For trail riding, 15/47 or 48 works fine everywhere but maybe tight woods and elevation riding if thats all you do?

Just my humble 3 cents.:applause:

Baja, GREAT info! Thank you! Will put it to use asap. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the PN or Power Now?

Also, are the Pro Tapers the ones I want to take out the vibration, etc? Or?

The # for Dewayne Jones is 1-909-626-2751. He is located in Pomona and works out of his garage. I was very happy with the results. Approx 1 week turn around. $200.00 front, $200.00 rear plus parts (as of last year). After the initial set-up it is $100.00 per end for service/tune-up when needed. He also keeps a record of your specs and settings for reference when you need to call for tech support. In my opinion it was money well spent...CK

Just dont tell all those guys and a few gals that the national in D-38 was all roads last year. You would them have to wonder why so many D-37 guys and gals DNf'd that race on just roads.:applause:

i'd definetly get a Scott's steering stabilizer and stay away from the off brand stuff. At high speeds this upgrade is invaluable. I've tried a few different tires and the Maxxis bite desert pack and wash really well. The maxxis is best for wear so far too. I ran through the stock Pirelli in a hurry and the Dunlop was just so-so. I'm on my second Pirelli front and it seems to track awesome in just about anything I find myself in, wear is good too as I've had the bike for about a year now and have put a least 50 hours on it. In response to your questions regarding 50 mile range on your stock tank I'd personally say yeah no problem but doesn't hurt to go to the IMS upgrade for a couple hundred....installation is easy and I love having the option of riding all day without refueling. I'm no desert racer..yet, but I sure do enough desert riding to give ya my opinion. I'd also recommend a nice uptite throttle tube. A radiator guard would be a great idea...don't want a leaking radiator 80 miles out in the desert(out of cell phone range). I use the powermadd hand guards and they seem to work well...every now and then I need to bust out the tools and tighten them up but I've gathered there aren't that many solutions for the Husq(possibly due to the Magura resevoir)for hand guards. The Powermadds were recommended by my dealer and are actually for quads...they were cheap and easy to install. I like having the handguards for single tracking through the trees. I've recently seen(in the back of February's Dirt Rider) a set of real clean looking hand guards that are supposed to mount up to the Scott's clamp real nice..think they were called 1st fit or something. I ran through the stock grips real quick and have had real good luck with new Renthals. I put down some spray adhesive and they haven't slipped since. Oh..almost forgot about the Boyeson accelerator pump cover...this lil upgrade has really helped me in the wash where I'm on and off the throttle a lot where the least amount of bog can mean the difference between eating shit and not eating shit. Anyways I've rattled on long enough..hope this helps. :applause:

reno... thanks for the first hand experience info. I can defintiely take some of your experience and put it to good use as well. I might be against the Radiator Guards I bought because of them inhibiting the air flow, since these bikes run on the hotter side... but otherwise, I've got the stabilizer in my sights, and will read up on the acc pump cover and why it's useful or not.

So #2 in BITD, #2 AMA National H&H, and in D-37 #2 Desert, and D-37 Enduro #2 and you want to Highlight the fact that a Husqvarna DNF'd one Race????

One Race all Year in 2 Series?????

Nice.

Mr."Pro Husqvarna"........I thought you were "Promoting the Brand"?

I'm sure your sponsors are stoked!

At least I dont promote blowing smoke to my sponsors to make them keep giving me free products. Some sponsors like to hear when there products dont work so they can make them better.

I was commenting on your comment of D-38 being all roads, but you decided to take it personal because Jens bike broke for what reason again? I didn't mention your riders DNF, you did. Here, I'll highlight it again, so you can re read it.

"Mr Pro Husqvarna", I like that. Thank you brother.:applause:

So #2 in BITD, #2 AMA National H&H, and in D-37 #2 Desert, and D-37 Enduro #2 and you want to Highlight the fact that a Husqvarna DNF'd one Race????

One Race all Year in 2 Series?????

Nice.

Mr."Pro Husqvarna"........I thought you were "Promoting the Brand"?

I'm sure your sponsors are stoked!

I am thinking that unless you plan on riding down ROADS (Baja or D-38), leave it alone.

There you go.:applause::lol: :lol: That is what I was responding to.

"Mr Pro Husqvarna" aka Steny:thumbsup: