Sign in to follow this  

Problems at Lower Sycamore

Went for a mid- day ride with my wife yesterday at Sycamore. Turned into the first entrance off of 87 as it has some fun but easier quad track and she is still pretty new.

There was a sheriff and an ambulance there and I got to chatting with the sheriff. He mentioned all the garbage everywhere (it was bad too, right where he was parked was a pile of McDonalds trash, about 30 Ketchup packets and a bunch of beer bottles, and a burned tv or something).

He said that there are complaints constantly and that with the way things are going it wont be long till that area is shut down from use for bikes/quads/jeeps.

It really bummed me out as most guys that ride bikes that I know really try to be careful and clean. It would be a shame for areas like that to get shut down.

I hope everyone makes a concerted effort to keep such areas clean. Maybe a clean up day could be organized or something... but he was dead serious when he said a lot of people (law enforcement/ BLM/FS and other groups) are getting tired of what they are seeing and talking about limiting access - its just one more nail in the coffin.

Unfortunately, that's been going on for years. Some of us do do clean ups around there. But between illegal dumping and people who party out there, it's just a total mess. And the kind of people do make that mess don't respond to calls to be more responsible.

The Forest Service already has plans in place to lock the area down. You can get access to it with a permit that you have to pick up at a District Rangers office and that's good for only a few weeks. The roads into lower sycamore will have gates with combination locks on them.

I hope this doesn't mean people will start going elsewhere and making a mess somewhere else now.

I used to go to lower sycamore....1985..I had a 250r 3 wheeler...The place was great..running water...trees...racing up widow maker...camping...

Upper sycamore, sugarloaf mountain was an oasis in the desert...people used to sit in the creek in their chaise lounges, drinkin beers , relaxing ,catching rays...

Its amazing the garbage, filth..everything has broken glass around it..and bullet holes..burned out cars..nails everywhere from pallet burns..

I welcome the gates, and more intense law enforcement..I follow the rules and clean up after myself , so it wont affect me..Maybe someday it will return to somewhat how it used to be..

I used to go to lower sycamore....1985..I had a 250r 3 wheeler...The place was great..running water...trees...racing up widow maker...camping...

Upper sycamore, sugarloaf mountain was an oasis in the desert...people used to sit in the creek in their chaise lounges, drinkin beers , relaxing ,catching rays...

Its amazing the garbage, filth..everything has broken glass around it..and bullet holes..burned out cars..nails everywhere from pallet burns..

I welcome the gates, and more intense law enforcement..I follow the rules and clean up after myself , so it wont affect me..Maybe someday it will return to somewhat how it used to be..

Im all for action being taken to clean it up as well, however, I worry that buying a permit every few weeks is just one more expense that makes it more difficult to ride as often as I would like.

For example, I have two dogs, both large working breeds that need a lot of exercise. I like to take them hiking... almost any place I can park requires a 7 dollar day pass. I hike with my dogs every morning for a half hour. Thats 35dollars a week to go for a walk... the rangers and sheriffs don't care when they check the parking lot that I am only there for 20-30 minutes. Thats the kind of loss of freedom and use I can't stand. I would rather see people police themselves than one more government agency step in to do it.

Im all for action being taken to clean it up as well, however, I worry that buying a permit every few weeks is just one more expense that makes it more difficult to ride as often as I would like.

For example, I have two dogs, both large working breeds that need a lot of exercise. I like to take them hiking... almost any place I can park requires a 7 dollar day pass. I hike with my dogs every morning for a half hour. Thats 35dollars a week to go for a walk... the rangers and sheriffs don't care when they check the parking lot that I am only there for 20-30 minutes. Thats the kind of loss of freedom and use I can't stand. I would rather see people police themselves than one more government agency step in to do it.

Currently ,the permit is a six month one ,and it is free....but I dont imagine this will last much longer..

Your example given is a key example of this policy gone wild..short term users like yourself need to be accomodated..

Whoa, slow down a second before you start complaining about how users aren't being accomidated. Nothing has even happened yet for this area! Eventually, I believe it will be similar to Bulldog cannon where you have to sign up for a code at the Forest Service every couple of months (I think it's currently 6 months for Bulldog Cannon). I can't see Sycamore turning into a daily fee area anytime soon.

I don't know where you live that you can't find a place to take your dogs without paying... really, where do you live?

I don't know where you live that you can't find a place to take your dogs without paying... really, where do you live?

I live in east Mesa. To be fair, I could take the dogs to Sycamore and not pay, but dogs and dirt bikes/ quads don't always mix. There are several river entrances which would be the best bet as it is hot hiking around here, but each of them is pay access.

I live in east Mesa. To be fair, I could take the dogs to Sycamore and not pay, but dogs and dirt bikes/ quads don't always mix. There are several river entrances which would be the best bet as it is hot hiking around here, but each of them is pay access.

East mesa, Bulldog canyon rec. area has an entrance off of ellsworth out by Usery Pass, its free......Also at the the north end of Crismon in the "curve"....theres lots of moutain bike and hiking trails..all for free...great places to run your dogs..

Down by the river, you can park along side of the road, and hike in to the river..for free...I used to hike in from the road when they stocked it with trout..

Also the Hawes trails, lots of mountain bikes but I wouldn't think there would be many in the morning. Park at the top of the hill on Power/Bush Hwy and head out. No fees!