Sign in to follow this  

Husky Monument Location

I am going to be staging at Pat's in Randsburg and I would like to go to the monument. Can anyone explain a good route. I have the foj map so route designations would be great. Thanks Kevin

I'm looking for a good route!!!

What do you mean by good route? Whoops? Singletrack?

I suggest you just find it using the map, then go from there to find the alternate routes.

I suggest you just find it using the map, then go from there to find the alternate routes.

Good suggestion.

thanks for the help

It's very hard to describe a good route using a post, there are many ways to get there. If you have a gps you can find it without any problem.

If you stage in Cal City, go east towards 395 and twenty mule team rd. From there, cross 395 and pick first trail off main dirt rd that Y's to right, stay on that trail and go towards Freemont Peak if you know where that is. Have some fun in the Freemont peak mountains then head off north/east. Again, if you have the gps coordinates you will find it. I will try and post them later for you.

The way I like to go from Joburg is clockwise (looking down from space) around Red Mountain, there's a road. From there you can pick a road to Cuddeback dry lake as you can see it in the distance. There's a couple of routes from there. One is a sandy road that leads very close to the monument. The way I like to go is to take the trail at the far south end of the dry lake that heads East across the tops of the Granite Mountains (I beleive that what they are called). The area is a wilderness area and your supposed to stay on the marked routes. The area is rather flat, sandy, and not whooped out. There's not really a best route. It's all good... More of a trail ride - not a challenge.

Going counter clockwise around Red Mountain is okay too but there are some rocky sections. My kid doesn't like it...

I would like to know the GPS coordinates. i would like to see the husky momument one day. I also need to invest in some maps first though.

I would like to know the GPS coordinates. i would like to see the husky momument one day. I also need to invest in some maps first though.

N 35 12.951

W 117 19.059

You really don't need to buy a map for this one. The GPS coordinates to it are all over the web. Go to Google Earth and put in the coordinates. It'll show you a nice topo map with a pinpoint location. The two main landmarks are Fremont Peak and Cuddeback Dry Lake. Once orientated you can figure out where the old Husky is with the topo map from Google Earth.

GPS 35 13 12

117 19 00

If you cant find it with the Friends of Jawbone map, you dont belong in the desert.

If you cant find it with the Friends of Jawbone map, you dont belong in the desert.

Agreed but dont trust it in the Piutes

For a website that prides itself on members helping other members, you guys sure make it tough. I have gotten more "figure it out yourself" than "let me show you" reponses. Maybe you guys who think you know everything should stop beating off to this forum and go ride. Better yet, don't go ride because there is already enough jackasses in the desert......

• Like 2

For a website that prides itself on members helping other members, you guys sure make it tough. I have gotten more "figure it out yourself" than "let me show you" reponses. Maybe you guys who think you know everything should stop beating off to this forum and go ride. Better yet, don't go ride because there is already enough jackasses in the desert......

Agreed :applause: most here are not that way just a couple...

For a website that prides itself on members helping other members, you guys sure make it tough. I have gotten more "figure it out yourself" than "let me show you" reponses.

Maybe you guys who think you know everything should stop beating off to this forum and go ride. Better yet, don't go ride because there is already enough jackasses in the desert......

My first response to you WAS trying to help you, I found the place on my own with a map, why do you feel the need to have everything handed to you on a platter (I.E. GPS coords) ?? With a map you can find it AND learn a little about travelling in the desert instead of relying on a GPS.

BTW I guarantee I ride more often and further than you on a regular basis so give it a rest....without GPS ,without someone holding my hand.

Get out and explore the desert....you might just find some of the good stuff.