Sign in to follow this  

KTM SX85 or new Honda 150R.....??

Hmmmm....my son currently rides a Honda XR80 but needs to move up to a biek with some quality suspension. He is beating the heck out of the 80 after running his KLX110 before that into the ground. We were all set on the KTM 85 until Honda finally released the 150R. I was leaning towards the 150R because I like 4 strokes in general but some of the 150R's issues I read about are starting to concern me. A bike like the TTR125 won't cut it for my son's riding style (aggressive/airborne) and ability. My daughter has that bike already. It's perfect for her but not my son.

My son is 12 but only 4-8" and 80 pounds with all his gear. We ride 90% of the time in the deserts of SoCal and 10% in the mountains or Mammoth and Durango, Colorado. We *DO NOT RACE* but my son would love to go to the track. Whatever we get will be set up as best as possible for trail type riding. That means handguards, Steahly flywheel weight, skid plates, etc...

**RELIABILITY** is the biggest factor to me. Once set up properly (jetting, etc...), I expect the bike to start easily and run w/o any problems. I don't do any crazy modifications to my bikes that boost performance but lower reliability. Maintenance isn't a huge issue because either way, I'll be keeping the economy going by paying somebody else to do it. I'll change the oil and clean the air filters but that's it for me. Besides, I've learned that most issues aren't nearly as bad (i.e. Husky valves) as people make them out to be if you ride "normal".

Any input based on your own experiences? Thanks...

the 150r is hands down the best bike ever to be in the 85 class. My brothers is sick and wished they were out a year ago when i was in the 85 class.

I am about the same size as your son and have the 150r. It starts up first kick every time, even after a fall. I havent had any problems with it. I never rode a 2stroke but I say go with the 150r.:applause:

The 85 is going to be cheaper to maintain in the long run, but the 150R is going to be the faster, easier to ride bike.

The 85 is going to be cheaper to maintain in the long run, but the 150R is going to be the faster, easier to ride bike.

How can you say that? Have you owned either bike?

I vote for the 150R. Those things are sweet and pull Hard for an 80 class bike.

I'll sell you an '03 KX100 real cheap. Great bike and will blow the doors off the 150r and be cheaper to maintain.

take the 85 or a kx100. it is way cheaper to maintain and is cheaper to make power. i had a 85 a while ago and we didnt have to do anything to it and it runs great. it didnt have tons of hours cause i only rode it for a season but basic maintainence was super cheap no vavles to check and crap like that.

plus if your son grenades the motor it wont cost you and arm and leg to fix it

go for the 85 or 100 thats my .02

I see full grown men riding those 150r's, but I believe it would be a great bike for anyone.

I would go for the 2 stroke. IMO the new 150r's are unproven and unreliable as of yet.:applause:

I don't know why the rest say 150. You don't race, and the 150 is a pure race bike. the 85 is so obvious. first off, it cost as much as a real bike, and the money that you save from buying an 85 (like 1-2 grand) can go to a real bike, or parts. but it will take a while to use that much on parts. track fees will use that up well though.

I personally think the 150 is just an attempt at getting honda a rediculas amount of money. and they want to promote their environmental-retarded-ness.

I don't know why the rest say 150. You don't race, and the 150 is a pure race bike. the 85 is so obvious. first off, it cost as much as a real bike, and the money that you save from buying an 85 (like 1-2 grand) can go to a real bike, or parts. but it will take a while to use that much on parts. track fees will use that up well though.

I personally think the 150 is just an attempt at getting honda a rediculas amount of money. and they want to promote their environmental-retarded-ness.

Since when has the 85 not been a race bike? :applause:

85 all the way! Its alot cheaper and the 150r has had only 1 year of production.

Whatever you get, don't put a flywheel weight on it

I can almost guarantee that your son will hate it

My vote is the 150, I like 2strokes, but I've always hated 85's, nothing but bad experience. It's a honda fourstroke, where can you go wrong?

I have yet to see a handful 150's win a race. Ironically I have seen many 85SX's win races.

Up to you.

I would say to go with the kx100. I guess itd be considered half a step up from the 85, but still relaible/cheap to mantian bikes. My friend has one and other than fork seals he has had no problems whatso ever.

For now, I'm leaning towards the KTM 85. I'll keep that a few years until everybody gets their 150 4 strokes ironed out....or maybe even a 250f if he decides to grow like a weed!! :applause:

The KTM 85 is not a very good bike. It has cylinder leak problems and WILL need a new cylinder if you ride the thing hard at all (I know this from personal experience). And when your KTM dealer carries the cylinder you know it is a common problem. BTW, that cylinder cost over $500. As a rule, KTM parts are much more expensive. You will be sorry you bought this bike. Buy any other brand of 85 and I am with you.

I wouldn't bad mouth other KTM's, but the 85 is there "red headed step-child" so to speak.

yea 150r....since i havent ridden since last summer, i have not yet seen a 150r on the track....i really wanna see how it really is on the track....screw the movie clips......i would get the 150r and blow all the 85's out

screw the 150r. Unless your loaded, go with the 85 or kx100. Their both quick and you won't spend the price of another bike just to keep them running.