Hot Cams - Post Installation Jetting

I just installed stage 2 Hot Cams(E/I) on my 06 DRZ 400S: The bikes setup:

Evo X Full Exhaust

Stock Carb with 147.5 MJ/25 PJ

Dynojet needle and spring from Stage 1 S kit

3X3 opening with Uni air filter

3 Turns out on the Fuel/Mix screw

After installing the cams, the bike started up fine. The bike idled okay. When riding, transitioning from the mid to the top range the bike studders/coughs, then takes off. It seems to run good as long as its accelerating, but when cruising then hitting the throttle.. studder...then goes.

I made the ride with the cork in the exhaust. I wonder if the exhaust restriction of the silencer is too much for the exhaust Hot Cam?:applause:

better or worse as it warmed up?

better or worse as it warmed up?

It actually starts getting worse as the bike warms up. I pulled the plug and it was not fouled or wet. I wonder if the cams are degreed wrong?

its just rich.try riding with the air box door off for a test.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I went ahead and put the stock main/pilot jet in. Runs great now, with and without the cork. Of course better without:thumbsup: The acceleration is out of sight. Riding at 10 mph, I gun it and was at 80 mph like that (15/41 gearing). I can't imagine what a big bore and a good carb would do.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sammy_1101
      Hi Guys,
      So I recently bought a 1997 XR400. I've done some research into getting more power through some basic mods and rejetting the carbs. Though all of the ones I've found have been for post 98 XR400s so the stock carb set up is a lot different. Usually people are opening up the airbox, exhaust ect. ect. and Jetting their carbs up to 160/162 for mains around 60 ish (I think) for the pilot. However for the 97 model this is close to stock for the jets.
      So essentially what Im asking (Just to cut to the chase ) Has anyone got a 96/97 (maybe 98, not sure) XR400 and has done these similar mods, and what sort of jetting have to done as a result.
      Thanks in advanced, also its my first post so apologies if I havent done everything correctly.
    • By Jturn
      38MM Cast SmartCarb. Purchased a couple years ago for a yz250. Don't have the bike anymore, and it has been sitting around for about a year. Used, but in fine working condition. You can also purchase a different needle for different bikes, as well as rebuild kits from their website.
      Asking $250 shipped to continental United States. I can arrange other shipping options at the buyers expense.
    • By faizakhtar125
      Hey guys I just bought a bike last night. So the seller said the bike will turn on but then die. We didn't try it because it was really late at night and it was raining (seat was wet). But he said if you bump start it, it will turn on and ride. So what do you think the problem is? I just want to make sure it runs... I probably won't be able to bump start it till Saturday (rain)... It's a four stroke, and I know absolutely nothing about them. Thanks.
    • By knotduke08
      I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I have not found any options available for the new 2018 bikes. I live and work for a new Beta Dealer (Auburn Extreme Powersports) in California, and we are having a difficult time mapping the RR-S bikes for full FMF exhausts. We have tried contacting Beta Support several times for this issue to no avail, and we typically are given the runaround when transferring to techs and secretaries. From what we can gather, the FMF flash is designed for the RR bikes, but not the street-legal counterparts. Every time we try to install the FMF map onto an RR-S errors occur, and the programmer screen goes virtually blank. We have heard through the grapevine that some are using the RR maps on the RR-S with success, but we have yet to try it, even on our own bikes for fear that it will permanently erase or damage the CDI. Any and all help or suggestions regarding this topic would surely be appreciated! Thanks, Ben.