Help. Transported bike on its side and now it wont start?

Hello,

I could really use some help.I just bought my girlfriend a 1969 honda trail ct90, because she REALLY wanted it. I picked it up yesterday and test rode it. It was fine.

I had to lay it down in the back of my truck because I have a shell. I used dozens of rags and strapped it down so it would not slide. I got home and got it out of the truck and it just will not start. I am starting to go crazy!

Here is everything I have done so far:

1. Took off the carb and cleaned it.

2. Took off the air filter and cleaned it.

3. Brushed up the spark plug and checked for spark (there is a good spark).

4. Drained the fuel and put fresh gas in.

The thing just wont start. Maybe I flooded the shit out of it, when it was on its side? Maybe I did something else? I tried all the common stuff already: key is on, tried with choke on and off, tried to use some quick start spray.

Can somebody tell me what to try now. The thing started 3rd kick when I bought it and now it just wont start. I really need to fix this thing myself because I can't afford to pay a mechanic 200 bucks.Thanks-Josh

With carb off and plug out, did you turn over the engine to blow the 'flooding' gas out?

Just because you pulled the plug and did all that other stuff doesn't mean the cylinder isn't still full of fuel.

4 stroke or two stroke? If it's a 4 stroke, is it possible that some of the engine oil could have gotten into the combustion chamber, preventing the fuel charge from igniting? Try taking off the cylinder head and checking that out, or pour a little fuel in the spark plug hole and try to start it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both ideas, begining with taking off the carb and plug and kicking it a couple of times. I did notice that when I kicked it with only the carb on (no air box), gas would shoot out of the carb where the airbox should connect. I dont know enough about bikes to know if this is bad, but my hunch tells me its definitely not normal.

That's bad and I'd take your exhaust pipe off, too.

uh yeah, gas does not shoot out the airfilter hole normally. Just remember this: with spark and compression and relatively close timing, the bike will run. it has no choice.

Alright, tomorrow morning I am going to get to work on it. I will post again and tell everyone about the progress. I have a feeling I will need more help. Thanks for all the help already.-Josh

Alright, tomorrow morning I am going to get to work on it. I will post again and tell everyone about the progress. I have a feeling I will need more help. Thanks for all the help already.-Josh

you can email me at honda125_1218@yahoo.com for help if you want. I don't think I'll be doin much this weekend so I can help you out mabey

The fuel comming out of the carburator when you kick it is an indication that the fuel tank probably drained into the crankcase. Was the fuel shutoff turned off when the bike was on its side? If not the float and needle will not shut off the fuel and it will drain the tank. Be carful when you kick it because if the fuel is full up in the crankcase it may be that when the piston is on the downstroke its trying to compress the fuel in the crankcase. which usually squirts out the breather. If its trying to compress the fuel in the cylinder on the compression stroke (hydrostatic lock) it can break the piston or bend the rod. hope this helps. Drain the crankcase and pull the plug like a past poster suggested.

I don't know whats wrong with it. One of my friends has a trail 70 that he tipped over and it hasn't worked since. He needs to get a real bike though so it is probably a good thing.