Which bike???

I just moved to Vancouver, BC for work and I can't stand not being able to ride in the dirt. MX bikes are out of the question so my question is this: What DS bike is best for me and my wife. I currently have a DRZ400Sm but I want something as aggressive as possible for offroad without constant maintenance because I'll be riding it to work as well (28km round trip). I like the KTM 450EXC but I'm not sure about maintenance for what I want. I'd have to do highway driving to ride offroad as well. I'm 5'10 and 185 lbs. My last bike was a 2003 RM250 so I know what decent performance feels like. Here's the second part to the question. What bike would be best for my wife (5'3' 105 lbs). She'd be using it just to ride with me.

Thanks in advance for the help

Since you already have a DRZ. You know the bike, why not make it a SM during the week, and an "E" for weekend fun. You already have it, sounds easy to me. Fun,dependable, etc. Certainly not the most aggressive bike, but has all the rest going for it. :applause:

Yellow, The DRZ is a great bike you can build for any riding style rather its dirt,DS, or trail:ride: . If you want performance look at the KTM. If you dont like the Maintenance of the EXC look at the LC4s. I ride a LC4 400 and its been a low Maintenance trouble free bike. Maybe lower the drz and let your wife ride it?? Id probably keep the DRZ and buy her a smaller bikel like a, KLR, KLX,TTR. Have fun.

If you are looking for a bike for the wife (street legal I assume) check the Yamaha XT225. Light, low seat and bulletproof. I would also check a set of off road wheels /tires for your SM.

If you are looking for a bike for the wife (street legal I assume) check the Yamaha XT225. Light, low seat and bulletproof. I would also check a set of off road wheels /tires for your SM.

This subject comes up a lot. A great DS bike for the wife is a Kaweasaki Super Sherpa, aka KL250 (not to be confused with the KLR250). They were only imported to the US from 2000 to 2003 AFAIK but I think you can still get new ones in Canada. Kawasaki sells a great rack for it and the KLR250 high front fender bolts right on.

Sherpa01s.jpg

Looking at the Kawasaki Super Sherpa vs. the Yamaha XT225, The Yamaha has a seat height of 31.9" vs. the Sherpa's 32.7". Dry weight is 238# for the Yamaha and #249 for the Sherpa. The Sherpa does have a rear disc brake vs, the Yamaha's drum. With very low cost mods, the XT225 is a respectable dirt bike. They are still made and there are many used ones to be found. I still like the idea of interchangeable wheels for the DRZ400sm.